PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
I‘ve only been smoking pipes pipes for about five weeks and by biggest problem (even with food) is extracting flavors…especially subtle flavors. My taste buds are just not as vibrant as they used to be.

I have been trying about 6-7 different Aros and just do not taste any flavor…zero…nada…Don’t misunderstand me, these “no-flavor” tobaccos smoked very well, I just could not ascertain any flavor…until now.

I tried a 1 oz. Sample of Molto Dolce and I ACTUALLY TASTED FLAVOR ! I can’t explain WHAT flavors but they were there albeit somewhat subtle. In fact, I was smoking outside and actually could detect some room note.
The tobacco burned very well also with very few re-lights. I will definitely buy this again.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Molto dolce is a tremendously flavorful aromatic. My $.02 would be to dry it out because it's wet as all get out, and work on your enjoyment and technique with that blend then re-try the other aro's you mentioned to see if you can pick up some flavors. As mentioned previously, retrohaling provides a ton of flavor.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I‘ve only been smoking pipes pipes for about five weeks and by biggest problem (even with food) is extracting flavors…especially subtle flavors. My taste buds are just not as vibrant as they used to be.

I have been trying about 6-7 different Aros and just do not taste any flavor…zero…nada…Don’t misunderstand me, these “no-flavor” tobaccos smoked very well, I just could not ascertain any flavor…until now.

I tried a 1 oz. Sample of Molto Dolce and I ACTUALLY TASTED FLAVOR ! I can’t explain WHAT flavors but they were there albeit somewhat subtle. In fact, I was smoking outside and actually could detect some room note.
The tobacco burned very well also with very few re-lights. I will definitely buy this again.
Molto Dolce is my favorite aromatic. I taste a raisin/plum flavor...I like it.

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
It takes a few weeks for your tastebuds to acclimate, the same as eating spicy curry, in a few months go back and smoke all the same blends again and most likely you'll taste all of them.
Yes, will try this. Anxious to go back and visit even the very mild ones I’ve tried.

In fact, yesterday I tried some C&D Star of the East and I didn’t care for it at all (Latakia). BUT, as Andrew Ziimmern from Bizarre Foods always states.
”Even if you really dis-liked it the first time, you need to try it one more time as the initial “shock” has worn off”.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I liked the flavors but just too wet and goopy for me to consider smoking it regularly. May have to give it another go some time as it did taste good if you're okay with the toppings totally overwhelming the tobacco.

Reactions: Zapasta and scloyd

Richard987

Lurker
Dec 27, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Fl

When I first started smoking a pipe in 2014 I started with aromatic tobacco and felt that I couldn't taste a thing. One of those tobacco was a very weird tobacco called " French Quarter " (Sutliff). I actually still have some in my cellar but it just sits there. In time I learned how to retrohale and taste with my nose (tongue being useless) and developed my "nose palette" which evolved to taste subtlety.

Reactions: Jacob74

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
When I first started smoking a pipe in 2014 I started with aromatic tobacco and felt that I couldn't taste a thing. One of those tobacco was a very weird tobacco called " French Quarter " (Sutliff). I actually still have some in my cellar but it just sits there. In time I learned how to retrohale and taste with my nose (tongue being useless) and developed my "nose palette" which evolved to taste subtlety.
Thanks…yep, many have mentioned that to me and I have been doing it. I can “taste” better now and am also being able to detect slight nuances just from gaining experience.

Reactions: Richard987

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
A tip I received for getting flavor (that I found effective), is to have a glass of water on hand to sip regularly during your smoke. Also, if you keep that pipe just on the edge of going out, with very little smoke, you may find you get some more intense bursts of flavor.
Congrats on making progress!