PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Yesterday I had some time to sit outside and enjoy a bowl of a chocolate aromatic. The tobacco was from a family-owned (mostly cigar store selling about 20-30 different kinds of pipe tobacco) brand. I am unsure of the distributor they purchased it from in bulk to sell. There were no details offered about the mix. However from what I am slowly learning about aromatic blends, it can potentially be heavier on the cavendish to make way for the main aromatic to shine through? I am just guessing here.

In any event, I was working on slowing down my breathing to try to massage the smoke at a cooler point and keep the embers going to experience more of the aromatic. Then the aromatic of shellfish hit really strong. It was fleeting, but still very surprising none-the-less. Then some moments later chocolate which was expected. I imagine that describing aromatics might sometimes be highly subjective. I just have no other way of describing it other than shellfish.

I wonder if others here have experienced some really unexpected aromatic notes? I didn't mind the shellfish at all oddly. Such a delightful part of the journey with pipe smoking. Kind of like listening to jazz or atonal music where an unexpected note or series of notes are heard.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Yesterday I had some time to sit outside and enjoy a bowl of a chocolate aromatic. The tobacco was from a family-owned (mostly cigar store selling about 20-30 different kinds of pipe tobacco) brand. I am unsure of the distributor they purchased it from in bulk to sell. There were no details offered about the mix. However from what I am slowly learning about aromatic blends, it can potentially be heavier on the cavendish to make way for the main aromatic to shine through? I am just guessing here.

In any event, I was working on slowing down my breathing to try to massage the smoke at a cooler point and keep the embers going to experience more of the aromatic. Then the aromatic of shellfish hit really strong. It was fleeting, but still very surprising none-the-less. Then some moments later chocolate which was expected. I imagine that describing aromatics might sometimes be highly subjective. I just have no other way of describing it other than shellfish.

I wonder if others here have experienced some really unexpected aromatic notes? I didn't mind the shellfish at all oddly. Such a delightful part of the journey with pipe smoking. Kind of like listening to jazz or atonal music where an unexpected note or series of notes are heard.
Yes! - I get 'kelp' with LJP 150th Flake...in a good way. :)

Reactions: Marie

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Shellfish, yikes...being Jewish, I must offer you my condolences.

There are certainly some odd flavor notes out there, but I've never heard of something like that, especially in an aromatic blend. The worst note I ever got was a vinegar-heavy ketchup taste from Sutliff 515 RC-1, an experience so traumatic that I nearly required primal scream therapy to get over it.

Wishing you better flavor profiles going forward. 👍

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Shellfish, yikes...being Jewish, I must offer you my condolences.

There are certainly some odd flavor notes out there, but I've never heard of something like that, especially in an aromatic blend. The worst note I ever got was a vinegar-heavy ketchup taste from Sutliff 515 RC-1, an experience so traumatic that I nearly required primal scream therapy to get over it.

Wishing you better flavor profiles going forward. 👍
I'll take the shellfish experience for the sheer nuance of it. :) However, I am not an active shellfish aromatic seeker. :ROFLMAO:

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Sometimes when I’m sick, I’ll get kind of a “river mud” smell on the retrohale. Wonder if we’re describing the same thing.
Um...we are not describing the same thing. 🤔 😶😶‍🌫️

However, your river mud could potentially be my shellfish...who knows? It's so subjective. I want to say a shellfish is a shellfish is a shellfish though.. 🤷‍♀️ :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ThermionicScott

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My absolute favourite Chinese tea is a tiegunyin (oolong) which I bought some years ago from an elderly tea merchant in Singapore.

The unbrewed tea leaf gives off a note of cod liver oil - I was force fed an entire lake of that vile stuff growing up, so its stench is indelibly etched in my olfactory memory.

But OMG, the complexity of that tea ! I have tried lots of oolong teas in search of a similar, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I have a very few vacuum sealed single pot serves left which I am eking out.

So a seashell tang to your chocolate mix is not that far fetched

Reactions: Marie

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have a tobacco that is mostly cavendish, and latakia, with a little perique. It gives me sometimes a charred chocolate aroma. Another tobacco with, latakia, burley and orientals, but the latter without Cavendish. gives me a similar taste, and also roasted herring. In any case, I love them. They are very "aromatic" and pleasant tobaccos for me, personally.

Last edited: