PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've read several articles and stories lately about how much the cost of a new pipe from the likes of Sixten, Lars, Chonowitsch, S Bang, and other famous makers was decades ago. I was surprised that even then, some were sold for many hundreds or thousands of dollars. That seems crazy to me that some pipes were selling for over $1,000 in the 1960's and 1970's.

Was this normal or atypical?
Have pipe prices risen with inflation since then (doesn't seem so for the most part)?

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I've read several articles and stories lately about how much the cost of a new pipe from the likes of Sixten, Lars, Chonowitsch, S Bang, and other famous makers was decades ago. I was surprised that even then, some were sold for many hundreds or thousands of dollars. That seems crazy to me that some pipes were selling for over $1,000 in the 1960's and 1970's.

Was this normal or atypical?
Have pipe prices risen with inflation since then (doesn't seem so for the most part)?
Could buy a nice house for $12,000 (60's) $20,000 (70's) back then so thats saying something.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
New Lars Ivarsson ($22,420 excl VAT) : Lars Ivarsson 3613 Long Ball oF Estervals Pipe House - https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=12523

New smooth Jess Chonowitsch ($9,440 excl VAT): Jess Chonowitsch smooth Brandy oF Estervals Pipe House - https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/product_info.php?products_id=12533

Yes, the Ivarsson is carrying a premium due to Lars' passing, but it would have definitely been priced at least as high as the Chonowitsch.

In 1968 dollars, that's $3042 and $1280, respectively, assuming that a dollar in 1968 is worth $7.37 today.