PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Intriguing set of projects. I'll be interested in the "after" pictures. I hope there's enough briar left on that freehand to revive to a full new life. I hope the Jobey stinger is easily removable. I think you will get some good smoking out of those, or at least two of them, or easy re-sale if that's your intent. I'd be intensely judicious reaming the freehand; that would be an easy bowl to "kill" with a reamer.

Reactions: anotherbob

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That was going to be my other guess, an early Larsen (the stem was what made me think that might be the case). It also shows in it's style the very influential design cues of the flared shank end and the "knuckle" below the transition. Pipe dates from the early "60's~early 1970's. As someone who collects Larsen's from this period, I'm going to say very cool!

You can see examples of this stem design in the 1961-62 W.O. Larsen Catalog here, look at the "Fancy" pipes starting on page 30,

https://pipedia.org/images/5/5c/Wo1.pdf

:)

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That was going to be my other guess, an early Larsen (the stem was what made me think that might be the case). It also shows in it's style the very influential design cues of the flared shank end and the "knuckle" below the transition. Pipe dates from the early "60's~early 1970's. As someone who collects Larsen's from this period, I'm going to say very cool!

You can see examples of this stem design in the 1961-62 W.O. Larsen Catalog here, look at the "Fancy" pipes starting on page 30,

https://pipedia.org/images/5/5c/Wo1.pdf

:)

Thanks, dmcmtk. So GOOD news, BAD news (and it is really bad):

Good news. Although the bowl has more charred-scaring than I have ever seen, it is coming along. Not sure what it looked originally, but this darker version was really the only way to go :

Bad news. Although I have restored a surprising number of pipes in my short time taking up the pipe (70-90), I have not faced this challenge. J-WELD? Other ideas?:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Intriguing set of projects. I'll be interested in the "after" pictures. I hope there's enough briar left on that freehand to revive to a full new life. I hope the Jobey stinger is easily removable. I think you will get some good smoking out of those, or at least two of them, or easy re-sale if that's your intent. I'd be intensely judicious reaming the freehand; that would be an easy bowl to "kill" with a reamer.

I do sell pipes on EBay, but only to thin the heard... not as a real business or anything. My M.O. is to purchase pipes to see if I like them. Kind of have a perpetual pipe-wars thing going. If the pipe I buy and restore is significantly favored over a pipe in my current collection, I sell... I enjoy this madness :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Out farting around with the wife on NorCal coast today. Tiny town of Machester, CA (pop. 190) has a little bric a brac shack. Behind the cashier, a lady of about 75 years old, and nearly out of site saw these 3 beaters. Paid $35 for all 3. I will restore these in short order and post the results...

Sasieni Four Dot Natural. In quotations on reverse side, "BROOKLANDS". Initial research suggests this pipe is from the family era (1946-79). However, someone more capable than me might be able to nail that down a bit given the type of stinger here?

Jobey "Natural" T6. Total mystery to me:

Finally, an unbranded freehand. Somebody loved to smoke this bad boy. Looks like I will have to top this one. Though unbranded, seems to be of very good quality.
Gosh darn it man that's a great price for one of these beasts. Especially the Jobey! Like that one a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago I got up to Mendocino, and what a beautiful drive and spot there on the rocks above the Pacific. Just today I bought a bottle of Chardonnay mostly because it is from Mendocino.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Bad news. Although I have restored a surprising number of pipes in my short time taking up the pipe (70-90), I have not faced this challenge. J-WELD? Other ideas?

Does that go through to the bottom of the smoking chamber? It's a hole? Am I'm seeing the white background in the picture through a hole in the bottom of the pipe?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen. I am going patch the Larsen for sure. Plenty of bowl left all around save the very bottom. Could turn out to be a very nice smoker. I'll try the other 2 out soon. Excited about both of them.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Follow up. Smoked the Saiseni and Jobey. Both ere fantastic.

Here's what's happening with the Larsen:

Used activated charcoal and black super glue to create a kind-of plug for the hole in the bottom of the bowl:

Used this as my mortar (sticky stuff):

Then carefully smoothed in the mortar to fill in the low spot. Caution here as the draft hole needs to be clear (note the pipe cleaning peeking out). Attempted to mimic the chamber indentation at bottom of bowl as seen in my other well made pipes:

The mortar must dry for 24 hours. Then I need to cure it tomorrow night, which will require smoking the pipe to heat the material up. This job does have its perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.