PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Wow! These look great. You did it so fast! Did you sand them down and re-dye? I'd love to learn more. I'm just dipping my toe in the pipe restoration pool, but I would love to be at your level.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Wow! These look great. You did it so fast! Did you sand them down and re-dye? I'd love to learn more. I'm just dipping my toe in the pipe restoration pool, but I would love to be at your level.

Thanks, AlabamaDan. This is more or less a hobby for me. There are real pros here in the forum. They have taught me a great deal and have answered so many of my questions. I tend to only strip pipes down and restain when they are in really bad shape. I do hand sand prior to putting pipes on my bench top buffer for fine sanding/polishing.

Full disclosure... my strategy for repairing the Larsen freehand may not be fully endorsed by those who know more than me. I decided to just go for it. After finding the bowl-burn-through I decided I did not have much to lose so (the pipes value at the point = zero) why not get a little crazy? We shall see.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
OK, final entry. I might be the only here still interested in this thread - LOL.

Bowl complete. Final phase: thin coat of organic honey around entire interior bowl chamber that was torched (torch-lighter) then dusted with activated charcoal and torched again. I did this to 1) get the cake process going on the new material (refractory mortar) and 2) create some continuity between the refractory mortar and briar inside the chamber.

Also re-did the pipe so that there was some color difference between the rusticated and smooth parts of the bowl. Hopefully, it is now closer to the original presentation:15671

And, I am out.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Very nice. I repaired a 1926 Dunhill that had similar issues few years ago. It’s still going strong. Jobey is a cool pipe, but that Sasieni is the real gem of the bunch. I found a early 60’s era Four Dot “Hurlingham” that is a prize.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Very nice. I repaired a 1926 Dunhill that had similar issues few years ago. It’s still going strong. Jobey is a cool pipe, but that Sasieni is the real gem of the bunch. I found a early 60’s era Four Dot “Hurlingham” that is a prize.

Man, I'd love to see that 1926 Dunny. These kinds of finds are a treat. This was my first time to find some really cool pipes in "the real world". Until now it has all been online. Really a pleasure. The Sasieni is for real! However, the Jobey is a top-shelf smoker too. Know nothing about Jobeys - so a big surprise.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.