Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jan 27, 2020
Does anyone here surf cast? I have a beach out here (east coast) that I can get to in 30mins in favorable traffic and see guys out there (mainly Chinese) catching what seem mainly to be bluefish but I do know those waters also hold stripers. I have been reading up on the subject and have yet to buy my rod and reel. I am still a bit confused if I should start with mono or braided line. While, I would like to catch fish, I also like the idea of having an early morning head clearing activity that I can also do some reading in-between casts. Any advice would be appreciated!

Jan 27, 2020
Do it!
Never turn your back to the sea, the locals say.
Since you're on the coast, cruise the pawn shops, thrift stores, swap meets and estate sales for the tackle

Good idea, I will hit some flea markets in the next coming weeks. I looked on Craigslist but only found some ratty rods and reels. I actually have a few 10' rigs I inherited from some family member but they are rather antiquated and I want the least stress inducing bit of kit I can find.

Won't tart until after Sept. 15th anyways, as that's when parking becomes free where I plan on fishing.

Also, seems like a good opportunity to enjoy my pipes which I've been rather negligent with in the last 6 months or more.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Used to surf fish all the time growing up here on the space coast, when the blues were running it’s hard not to catch as many as you can haul, also snook, pompano, red fish, snapper and of course sharks. For shark we’d use a gallon jug filled with sand and a breakaway for the line, someone would paddle it out on their board and drop it out past the surf, fun fishing!

depending where you are the fishing off the jetty in Sebastian was always great, caught a lot of barracuda off that jetty back in the day.

Jan 27, 2020
Used to surf fish all the time growing up here on the space coast, when the blues were running it’s hard not to catch as many as you can haul, also snook, pompano, red fish, snapper and of course sharks. For shark we’d use a gallon jug filled with sand and a breakaway for the line, someone would paddle it out on their board and drop it out past the surf, fun fishing!

depending where you are the fishing off the jetty in Sebastian was always great, caught a lot of barracuda off that jetty back in the day.

Were you using mono or braided line? Also, I plan to go really early before bait shops out this way will be open and have no interest in storing bait in our apartment. Do you have any experience with freeze dried blood worms etc.?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Were you using mono or braided line? Also, I plan to go really early before bait shops out this way will be open and have no interest in storing bait in our apartment. Do you have any experience with freeze dried blood worms etc.?
I’ll be completely honest we were like 15 and either grabbed a friend’s dad’s gear while they were at work or used regular poles with heavy line. Some days we surfed as much as fished and on good days we’d watch a little local kid shred the waves, maybe you’ve heard of him Kelly Slater? Sorry can’t be more technical help lol

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I’ll be completely honest we were like 15 and either grabbed a friend’s dad’s gear while they were at work or used regular poles with heavy line. Some days we surfed as much as fished and on good days we’d watch a little local kid shred the waves, maybe you’ve heard of him Kelly Slater? Sorry can’t be more technical help lol

Ha, yes I heard of Kelly Slater. I'm surprised you would of bothered with fishing at all when you could of just gotten gnarly.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ha, yes I heard of Kelly Slater. I'm surprised you would of bothered with fishing at all when you could of just gotten gnarly.
Beach every day growing up, had to mix it up specially on those flat glassy days. ??

on the super cool side a few months ago i was up at our “locals only” boardwalk, one of those shitty ones the tourists from Idaho wouldn’t go to, and Slater was sitting up on the boardwalk and we talked for about 30 minutes, such a chill down to earth guy. Verrrrrry conservative.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Beach every day growing up, had to mix it up specially on those flat glassy days. ??

on the super cool side a few months ago i was up at our “locals only” boardwalk, one of those shitty ones the tourists from Idaho wouldn’t go to, and Slater was sitting up on the boardwalk and we talked for about 30 minutes, such a chill down to earth guy. Verrrrrry conservative.

I saw a really dope 80s T&C board at a thrift last year. Wish I bought it but didn't as it had a big ding but I think in hindsight it was attributed to a rather famous graphic designer of the era and rather rare.

Reactions: Egg Shen

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I saw a really dope 80s T&C board at a thrift last year. Wish I bought it but didn't as it had a big ding but I think in hindsight it was attributed to a rather famous graphic designer of the era and rather rare.
A lot of good back stories here, growing up most of my older friends got into shaping and resining their own boards, a lot of really gorgeous boards made in garages in the 70s here, that and skate boards, back when you could buy trucks, wheels and ball bearings at the local surf shops. Natural Art is still in cocoa beach and of course Ron Jon’s the surf shop started to smuggle weed (inside boards) from Florida to NJ, amazing they went from that to making millions off tshirts and bumper stickers lol

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
A favorite Kelly slater pic, shagg’s was one of our two local surf shops, Dick was a great guy and true friend to the locals, Kelly is in the middle, had to stand on the curb so he didn’t look short, jokes on us now he’s a millionaire that bangs supermodels ? 4EF1A2BA-0DCD-4086-858C-702407EDB91B.jpeg