PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Supremely Satisfied!
I have just taken delivery of an exquisite top of the range,hand made, Peterson Gold Mounted Supreme Straight Grain XL02 P-Lip.
Typifying the classic Peterson design, the XL02 shape, with its stout stem and wide apple bowl, shows excellent visual harmony at the slender angle of the tapered stem. With a beautiful flame grain, this particular pipe is all the more pleasing by being brought together with the tasteful soft stain and gold band, which is indicative of the classic Peterson's Supreme Straight Grain series.
The briar is carefully examined for imperfections and selected from briar of exceptional grain. Straight grains, are carefully stored, waiting to be specially carved by hand . The hand crafted straight grain pipe and the increasingly rare skill required to make it, is unique. Peterson craftsmen shape, turn, sand and polish the 150 year old root of the Erica arborea tree,which is something quite special. Only a very limited quantity of straight grains are available in any twelve month period.
I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired such a rare and exquisite hand made piece.
Contrary to some pipe connoisseurs, who believe that all Peterson pipes are factory made and of a lesser quality, this is an example of Peterson craftsmanship at its supreme best. Not a fill or flaw in sight !
goldsupremestraightgrain.jpg

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Oh My! That is absolutely stunning Jim, many congratulations on finding such a magnificent specimen.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
They normally retail at over $600,however it was up as a Sale item and I could not believe the discounted price, it was too good to miss.So I snapped this one up at $250!!

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
man thats nice!! hope I will have the resources for a collection like yours when I grow up LOL. Does that make 401

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, Jim, this is unquestionably one of the prettiest pieces of briar I've ever seen! Certainly a pipe to treasure. Congratulations!

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Chuck,in answer to your question ,four lights.Based on this set up plus two smaller lamps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Professional-photography-Backgrounds-Photographic/dp/B0049GFT0M/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288885855&sr=1-15

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
pstlpkr - In answer to that question,NONE.
I am asked this question over and over,especially when I highlight a newly acquired high grade Pete.

I will treat it as a collectors piece and add it to my collection.Some are puzzled by that,but hey it is my obsession.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
Jim, congrats, what a wonderful Peterson. I envy you for this one!!!
Have fun with it (I know you will!)

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I counted at least three Jim. I can see I will have to get at least one more. A tabletop for the rear. My black backgrounds and two lights don't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.