PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
My local B&M doesn't always have the tobacco blends I'm after, but I still make them my first stop. Even if I don't buy tobacco there, I always buy my other supplies from them, like pipe cleaners, Boveda packets, etc. When I went in the other day, they were out of pipe cleaners, Boveda packets, and flint's for my lighter. This is due, obviously, to the virus disrupting the mail system. I had to order these supplies on line. I recently laughed at Brian Levine when he mentioned he has been buying, and hoarding, pipe cleaners! I apologize! The pain is real!

I just got frustrated with smokingpipes and P&C yesterday as I was trying to place an order. They are F'n out of everything I wanted. And, laudsi is the supplier for most B&Ms. So, the supply chain must be dwindling down the chain. I am just going to start cracking open more jars of my own homegrown till they get their shit together. And, too damned bad that I can't grown pipecleaners. puffy

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
It's almost Armageddon in my opinion. I ordered a box of Davidoff Aniversario Special T's in the afternoon on Tuesday, they usually come by overnight Fed Ex so I was expecting them Thursday because I ordered so late in the day, but nothing so far and the Fed Ex tracking system simply says that its delayed...it's supposed to be OVERNIGHT!!! It's a $500 box of freaking cigars for god's sake!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I just got frustrated with smokingpipes and P&C yesterday as I was trying to place an order. They are F'n out of everything I wanted. And, laudsi is the supplier for most B&Ms. So, the supply chain must be dwindling down the chain. I am just going to start cracking open more jars of my own homegrown till they get their shit together. And, too damned bad that I can't grown pipecleaners. puffy
Take one of those thin shank brushes and put some cotton on the nylon bristles, but be sure to blow out the fuzz?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am advantaged being a "moderate" smoker, which might also be seen by some as pokey, dawdling, glacial, and slow. Still, I crane my neck to make sure I still have those spare bags of pipe cleaners at hand. The times they are a'changing even more than usual.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Must be gl
If push comes to shove, I will steal some crafting pipe cleaner from my wife. Hobby Lobby never runs out of them apparently.
Ran out of 'em when my wife and I were at our house Navarre a couple of months ago...had to get some from the party favors section of Walmart. They weren't very absorbent, but it was better than nothing.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Overall, the mail/shipping is fubar'd right now. In general. I wouldn't read tobacco doom and gloom into the supply situation (talking restock at vendors as well), its everything. But....unless there's a "gotta have it and one shot at ordering" situation I would hold orders (of any kind) until the new year. Just from the start of January I've had two large tobacco orders (different suppliers) dissappear in the system, a Walt Cannoy drip fall off the face of the earth, and long delays on a handful of other orders. This was driven by issues at delivery points all over, not one hub or service.

I think a post election labor lag (people taking PTO or management relaxing oversight) is meeting a natural Covid holiday mail crunch. My take only...don't order what you don't have to until January!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Must be gl

Ran out of 'em when my wife and I were at our house Navarre a couple of months ago...had to get some from the party favors section of Walmart. They weren't very absorbent, but it was better than nothing.
Been there, done that. The ones at Hobby Lobby are more absorbent in my opinion. Not as stiff as I like, but will do if you can't get anything else. I should mention that you get a lot more for your money than a pack of Dill pipe cleaners.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Overall, the mail/shipping is fubar'd right now. In general. I wouldn't read tobacco doom and gloom into the supply situation, its everything. But....unless there's a "gotta have it and one shot at ordering" situation I would hold orders (of any kind) until the new year. Just from the start of January I've had to large tobacco orders (different suppliers) dissappear in the system, a Walt Cannoy drip fall off the face of the earth, and long delays on a handful of other orders. This was driven by issues at delivery point all over, not one hundred or service.

I think a post election labor lag (people taking PTO or management relaxing oversight) is meeting a natural Covid holiday mail crunch. My take only...don't order what you don't have to until January!
I think it's global warming, it's all because of global warming, we're all going to die...without tobacco and cigars because we can't get any damn tobacco and cigars!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Overall, the mail/shipping is fubar'd right now. In general. I wouldn't read tobacco doom and gloom into the supply situation (talking restock at vendors as well), its everything. But....unless there's a "gotta have it and one shot at ordering" situation I would hold orders (of any kind) until the new year. Just from the start of January I've had two large tobacco orders (different suppliers) dissappear in the system, a Walt Cannoy drip fall off the face of the earth, and long delays on a handful of other orders. This was driven by issues at delivery points all over, not one hub or service.

I was down to 2 pipe cleaners when my SP package arrived. It was a close one! I had already raided my spare pipe pouch for those!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I confess, none too proudly, that if a pipe cleaner comes out relatively non-cruddy, I let it dry and use it again. This isn't a reaction to scarcity, just a thrifty impulse. With some full-strength blends, one pipe cleaner use is all you get, and out it goes, but with clean burning blends, you can sometimes get three. Not recommending this, just reporting it.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I see I am not the only one with shipping issues. Several orders have been severely delayed. I have also had an order from amazon get lost. Thankfully Amazon is super easy when it comes to customer service concerns and I have gotten replacements.

I have never had so many orders out at one time and have never had this many take so long or get lost. It will help me develop more patience. ;)

Reactions: bnichols23

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I am happy to report that one of those nylon shank brushes and water from the tap will do in lieu of a pipe cleaner on straight pipes. The pipe takes longer to dry, but overnight is still fine.

I’m also happy not to need any tobacco this season, thanks to all the advice to buy early and buy often.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Oh were running out of stuff? Dang, I didn't see that coming.. all we did was shut the country down repeatedly and tell people not to work.:rolleyes:
Halleluiah! Let me see if I can't capture modern philosophy on addressing a crisis

"My god, we have to do something...anything!"

I think that about captures it.

Status
Not open for further replies.