Super Cheap American Eagle Bourbon + Others For Those In The UK..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Barrel aging and the Lincoln county process both in involve the same concept - exposing freshly distilled white whiskey to charred hardwood to mellow the alcohol burn and otherwise improve the rough edges. The idea behind the Lincoln county process is getting that result faster. A lot of us think it ends up flattening the flavor in the long run."

Adam, if the Lincoln County Process makes the juice smoother in less time then how come the three expressions of American Eagle are aged 4,8 and 12 years? As it happens, they are the only bottles of American whiskies in my collection (34) that actually have an age statement!

Also you say the LCP flattens the flavour of the finished product whilst also claiming to be partial to Gentleman Jack as I am too. I also have 'smooth' American spirits that as far as I am aware didn't go through the LCP, Bulleit Rye I had last night is a perfect example.

It just seems that because American Eagle is owned by a British company (despite being an all American product) folks want to denounce it without ever trying it. If I were able I would gladly supply you with a sample of their three expressions so as you could give an informed view as to its quality or otherwise, alas that is not practicable.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: lawdawg
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Can't buy booze on Amazon here in Canada. You can only buy liquor at a liquor store in most provinces. I live in Alberta, where the liquor laws are arguably the most relaxed in Canada, so here there are more privately run liquor stores than gas stations, but in some provinces you can only buy booze from government run liquor stores.
the very same idiotism applies to Finland-Sweden

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just to be antagonistic.

You do know that there is no specified time period for aging new whiskey before you can call it bourbon?

To be bourbon, the new whiskey has to be aged in new, charred oak barrels.

There is a time limit of aged at least two years for straight bourbon.

Bourbon aged for a period of less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.

Bourbon can be distilled anywhere in the U.S. (I'm currently drinking a glass of Ironroot Republic Harbinger, distilled in Denison, Texas. My next bottle will be one of the expressions from Balcones Distiller in Waco, Texas.)

The motto of the Whiskey Tribe is "Drink what you like, how you like it."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"Bourbon can be distilled anywhere in the U.S."

Pappy, I have read that too and often wondered if that would apply to Hawaii also?

Regards,

Jay.?
Look up Mahalo Hawaii Bourbon.

There are a few distillers in the Hawaiian Islands but they mostly make rum and vodka. There is also an indigenous distilled spirit in Hawaii - Okolehao.

I follow a youtube channel for the Whiskey Tribe hosted by two distillers from the Austin, Texas area. One of the interesting discussions they had was about the difference the climate has on aging. Where it takes longer to age whiskey in "northern states" like Kentucky and Tennessee, the same aging effect happens in shorter time in Texas because of the higher daytime temperature.

The range between the high and low temperature is also wider. I was born in SE Texas and have a friends in other parts of the state. It can get above 95F in the day and drop into the low 70F or lower at night.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for that Pappy, I'll look into it now.

On the subject of temperature and ageing I read the other day of a major distiller (I forget which) that actually heats their rickhouses in the winter months to account for the unusually cold weather.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
"Barrel aging and the Lincoln county process both in involve the same concept - exposing freshly distilled white whiskey to charred hardwood to mellow the alcohol burn and otherwise improve the rough edges. The idea behind the Lincoln county process is getting that result faster. A lot of us think it ends up flattening the flavor in the long run."

Adam, if the Lincoln County Process makes the juice smoother in less time then how come the three expressions of American Eagle are aged 4,8 and 12 years? As it happens, they are the only bottles of American whiskies in my collection (34) that actually have an age statement!

Also you say the LCP flattens the flavour of the finished product whilst also claiming to be partial to Gentleman Jack as I am too. I also have 'smooth' American spirits that as far as I am aware didn't go through the LCP, Bulleit Rye I had last night is a perfect example.

It just seems that because American Eagle is owned by a British company (despite being an all American product) folks want to denounce it without ever trying it. If I were able I would gladly supply you with a sample of their three expressions so as you could give an informed view as to its quality or otherwise, alas that is not practicable.

Regards,

Jay.?

Jay, I did not mean to imply anything negative at all about the American Eagle bourbon, and if it was practical, as you said, I would happily try a dram of each, and I would appreciate the kind offer. I also respect British distilling, and it's nice to hear that there is a demand for bourbon in the U.K. even with all that good single malt available. I have no objection to a British company buying some American bourbon, bottling it, and importing it to the U.K.

I suppose I did not make my point very well, but my point is mainly that my objection to the Lincoln county process and the "Tennessee" label is mostly political, and it's based on a certain attitude among distillers and politicians in Tennessee that I (and many others) find objectionable and kind of jealous and petty.

The "Kentucky Bourbon" cultural phenomenon arose organically. It became known in the 1800's that if you wanted some of the good stuff, you'd get the whiskey with the "Bourbon County" tax stamps on it. Bourbon slowly became a national treasure, and eventually, Congress put forth laws protecting and regulating the production and labeling of bourbon.

Sometime much more recently in history, Tennessee distillers started marketing their whiskey as "Tennessee Whiskey" with the Lincoln County process being what set Tennessee whiskey apart from other whiskeys. Unlike bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey was never a part of the public consciousness until it started being intentionally marketed that way in the mid 1900s. The Tennessee distillers and politicians lobbied Congress to protect their Tennessee Whiskey in the same manner that they protected bourbon. However, Congress has always declined to give Tennessee Whiskey the same recognition that they give bourbon, and that's really the core issue.

The Tennessee politicians basically stamped their feet, gathered up their marbles, and headed home where they passed state laws about Tennessee whiskey, with one of those laws being that it MUST be distilled in Tennessee to be sold in their state as "Tennessee Whiskey", not that any other distillers have ever tried to market "Tennessee whiskey" distilled outside of Tennessee. Meanwhile, the state of Kentucky has done no such thing with bourbon, and bourbon can be made anywhere in the U.S. according to federal law.

My point about the LCP itself is that it did originally start, as another forum member mentioned, as a way to take the rough edges off of "white dog" whiskey back in the day. Of course it is less of an issue now that all the distillers are aging their whiskey for years in charred oak barrels. There are some bourbon drinkers (and distilling experts as well) who think that the Lincoln county process does somewhat hinder the aging potential of the whiskey. Of course the expert distillers at the Tennessee distilleries disagree. It's really just a matter of preference, and the controversy surrounding the entire process has much more to do with the politics of the situation than with the process itself.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just a small update. Last night I had my first sample of the 12 year old and wasn't hugely impressed, it was OK but not wonderful. Very dry, spicy, smoky and woody. I think I actually preferred the 4 year old but then it was only my first sample. I did wonder if perhaps spending 12 years in the wood might be a little too long?

Tonight I try the 8 year old!

Regards,

Jay.?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Update #2. Tried the 8 year old on Saturday night and really liked it, the best of the three in my book.

Then last night I had my second taste of Jim Beam Single Barrel and that beat all of them into a cocked hat ?

Regards,

Jay.?

?

I also think that around 8 years in the wood is generally ideal for a bourbon. Glad to hear you like it!

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It could have been my palate on the night but the 12 year old was dry to the point of almost being bitter! I've read several reviews on all three expressions and all claim the taste of citrus fruit, particularly orange. I never got that which leads me to believe the reviews were perhaps not so honest, just a rewording of earlier reviews.

I've had 18 year old Scotch that didn't taste woody at all and certainly wasn't bitter.

Of my now 35 American whiskies (just added Knob Creek Rye), no other bottle did I score 2/5 on my 1-5 sweetness scale (1 = bone dry, 5 = very sweet).

Regards,

Jay.?

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I've had 18 year old Scotch that didn't taste woody at all.

Regards,

Jay.?

Jay, you'll typically find the high-heat to bitter cold aging seasons in Kentucky produce an 'aged' product in much more aggressive fashion than the milder Scottish climes. Same as anywhere, rick-house location matters.....but typically a whole lot movement of the liquor in and out of the wood in a shorter time-frame for bourbon. 6-8 years is a typical 'sweet spot', and the distiller has to carefully control location once you get beyond 10 years to keep the wood from overwhelming the juice. It's possible....I was just sipping in 17 year old WT and it's fantastic.....but its a limited selection of juice suitable for that.

Jim Beam has a very unique general taste, for many folks. I'm sure prices are dictated by a blizzard of import-specific realites on your side of the pond, but Jim Bean Black ('extra-aged') is a potentially cheaper option to see if you just generally take to the Beam flavor. Black used to be 8-year, but recently went NOS (likely 6 year in practice now). Bakers and Bookers are for me, the cream of Beam-made output. Both are high-proof and range 6-7 years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jerseysam, I am indeed a great fan of Jim Beam products, White Label, Black Label, Double Oak, Devil's Cut, JB Rye and their Single Barrel. I also have 3 Knob Creek expressions which I believe are JB made.

I did read up on how most distillers shift their barrels around the rickhouses from time to time to get as uniform a product as possible. Some even heat the rickhouses in winter!

By the way, I don't know if you've ever been to Scotland but the climate there is very wet, windy, cold and miserable all year round ?

Not seen Wild Turkey 17 year old for sale here though I'd certainly go for it if it was a reasonable price.

Regards,

Jay.?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've had 18 year old Scotch that didn't taste woody at all and certainly wasn't bitter.
Jay, the barrel comes into play here. I believe that many Scotch producers use their barrels multiple times, and they were most likely used when the got them. My thinking is that with each use, more of the tannins (bitter) is extracted, allowing much longer age times than with new American Oak barrels used for bourbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.