Super Cheap American Eagle Bourbon + Others For Those In The UK..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
right seems odd in such a highly regulated country.
Can't buy booze on Amazon here in Canada. You can only buy liquor at a liquor store in most provinces. I live in Alberta, where the liquor laws are arguably the most relaxed in Canada, so here there are more privately run liquor stores than gas stations, but in some provinces you can only buy booze from government run liquor stores.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Can't buy booze on Amazon here in Canada. You can only buy liquor at a liquor store in most provinces. I live in Alberta, where the liquor laws are arguably the most relaxed in Canada, so here there are more privately run liquor stores than gas stations, but in some provinces you can only buy booze from government run liquor stores.
I mean here you can buy liquor anywhere, but still not off amazon.
Most likely due to the impossibility of checking age.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
That doesn’t seem shady in the least. ?
It's a total scam
I mean here you can buy liquor anywhere, but still not off amazon.
Most likely due to the impossibility of checking age.
Cheap beer at gas stations always makes me laugh when I visit the US. Don't drink and drive folks, but here are some convenient road beers. I guess we can't say much up here though, because I used to live in BC, where they have drive-thrus at cold beer and wine stores.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's a total scam

Cheap beer at gas stations always makes me laugh when I visit the US. Don't drink and drive folks, but here are some convenient road beers. I guess we can't say much up here though, because I used to live in BC, where they have drive-thrus at cold beer and wine stores.
we have drive-thru liquor stores here as well. I always thought it was the perfect oxymoron.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's a total scam

in case you haven't noticed just about everything is hypocrytical.
drinking is cool, unless driving or unless you get drunk. (which isn't that a byproduct of drinking???)
weed is legal... just don't smoke it. in public.. outside... anywhere that isn't inside your home.
but go to a bar and get hammered.. just don't get drunk off the multiple drinks they serve you.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just get more of a "drinking bad" vibe in the U.S. than in Europe. However, that's less true in larger American cities, where drinking culture seems more accepted and more "European" for lack of a better description. Just by way of comparison, an average amount of drinking in the U.K. would put you in about the top 10% of drinkers in the U.S. by volume of consumption per week.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I just get more of a "drinking bad" vibe in the U.S. than in Europe. However, that's less true in larger American cities, where drinking culture seems more accepted and more "European" for lack of a better description. Just by way of comparison, an average amount of drinking in the U.K. would put you in about the top 10% of drinkers in the U.S. by volume of consumption per week.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and lawdawg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They drink over in Europe all day.. you see people at the Farmer's Market in Munich walking around with Liters of beer at 10AM.
It's more acceptable there for sure.. whereas here if you drank a liter of beer at 10AM people are going to think you have a problem.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
They drink over in Europe all day.. you see people at the Farmer's Market in Munich walking around with Liters of beer at 10AM.
It's more acceptable there for sure.. whereas here if you drank a liter of beer at 10AM people are going to think you have a problem.

I'm an average drinker... in Europe. A raging alcoholic in the U.S. though puffy Damn American culture.

America: don't drink alcohol, and enjoy your one week of vacation from work per year.

Europe: here, drink this world-class beer along with some single malt, oh and here's 30 vacation days each year. Please use them all.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It's a total scam

In Louisiana we have drive-through frozen daiquiri stands. ?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm an average drinker... in Europe. A raging alcoholic in the U.S. though puffy Damn American culture.

America: don't drink alcohol, and enjoy your one week of vacation from work per year.

Europe: here, drink this world-class beer along with some single malt, oh and here's 30 vacation days each year. Please use them all.
Europe is very diverse. In Sweden, Iceland, Faroe Islands (me), Greenland and maybe others, liquor can only be bought from government stores, creating a semi-prohibitional culture around alcohol.
In France, they can't make statistics of alcohol consumption, because people don't understand the concept. They drink wine at noon and at supper but that don't count. That's just having a meal. Drinking is something else and noone does that, so their statistics look great.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Just to note...charcoal filtering ('Lincoln County Process') happens with the new make going into the aging barrel...not coming out (where you would mask age). The process of sugar-maple charcoal filtering started back in the 19th century when most whisky was sold un-aged....it was an attempt to smooth out what we'd call white dog today for immediate drinking. When aging bourbon in charred barrels became the norm in the later 19th century, distillers in Tennessee kept up the practice because the thought was hey, why not start with a smooth distillate and we've been doing this for decades. Like 'sour mash', it only became a marketing call-out in the 1950-60's.

Charcoal is non-flavor imparting medium (used as a filter), so it wouldn't add flavors of wood to 'fake' age. I'll stay out of the TN vs. KY bourbon wars beyond that :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You can buy booze on Amazon in the UK?!"

Sure you can Canucklehead, I've been buying many of my spirits (American, Scotch, Caribbean rums etc) for years from them. They often have severe discounts and most purchases over £20 bring on free delivery.

It would seem that PROBS doesn't like this fact but hey ho, we are so blessed he doesn't live here.

"Just to note...charcoal filtering ('Lincoln County Process') happens with the new make going into the aging barrel...not coming out (where you would mask age)."

Jerseysam, such a shame certain folks can't accept this regarding their National Spirit.

Regards,

Jay.?

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Charcoal is non-flavor imparting medium (used as a filter), so it wouldn't add flavors of wood to 'fake' age. I'll stay out of the TN vs. KY bourbon wars beyond that :)

But you’re in the midst of the KY / TN bourbon war with that post puffy

Of course the idea is filtration, rather than addition of something into the distillate. I’m not saying flavor is added, but that it is affected.

Barrel aging and the Lincoln county process both in involve the same concept - exposing freshly distilled white whiskey to charred hardwood to mellow the alcohol burn and otherwise improve the rough edges. The idea behind the Lincoln county process is getting that result faster. A lot of us think it ends up flattening the flavor in the long run.

In all fairness, I think it’s a relatively minor issue in practice, but that it has been exacerbated by Tennessee politicians pushing for federal recognition of their “Tennessee whiskey” moniker as if it shared the same American cultural relevance as Kentucky bourbon.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois

I consider myself a “professional drinker” I drink daily more than most.I do not drink to intoxication but most would be. This bottle last me about 3 days. It’s 1.75 literimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.