PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Looking forward to the Tokyo Olympics. Evidently NBC, and its affiliates, will have 7,000 hours of coverage. Good luck to Simone Biles, Chloe Dygert, David Boudia, Katie Ledecky, Adeline Gray, Noah Lyles, Nyjah Huston, Carissa Moore… and the rest of team USA ??

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Looking forward to the Tokyo Olympics. Evidently NBC, and its affiliates, will have 7,000 hours of coverage. Good luck to Simone Biles, Chloe Dygert, David Boudia, Katie Ledecky, Adeline Gray, Noah Lyles, Nyjah Huston, Carissa Moore… and the rest of team USA ??
I always look forward to the Olympic Games. I find myself watching and enjoying different sports that I would never bother to watch otherwise. I’ve already watched men’s volleyball and women’s water polo this morning.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I always look forward to the Olympic Games. I find myself watching and enjoying different sports that I would never bother to watch otherwise. I’ve already watched men’s volleyball and women’s water polo this morning.

I agree. Especially during the metal rounds ?

Reactions: Tar Wheel

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
^^^ I think the summer version is called shuffleboard, which there is a bid to add it for the 2024 games in Paris. Try to contain your excitement until then… ?

• Haha
Reactions: Tar Wheel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This must be one of the stranger Olympics in the history of the games, but I'm sure if I dip my toe in the broadcasting I'll get dragged in by the current. I feel for the Japanese people who looked to the games as a celebration and affirmation. If the athletes are healthy, I think they will be as competitive as ever, once the starting guns go off. The track events always hold my attention, and of course soccer/football, volleyball, and tennis.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Not a big swimming event fan, but watching Katie Ledecky’s dominant performance in the 1500m during trials was pretty cool. They broke to commercial, and when they returned she was the only one in the frame (full pool length lead). Amazing athlete!

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Growing up, the Olympics have always been a big deal. Not sure which I prefer, summer vs winter.

The swimming has been of particular interest this year, seeing that a local swimmer took silver in the women's 400 IM last night!

Reactions: Tar Wheel and STP

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I too feel for the Japanese people. But, for those who think the moneys spent on venues and such would have been much better spent mitigating the problems caused by the virus. There are a vocal bunch of anti-Olympics Japanese protesting at the various venues. They're the ones with my sympathies. I'm not a fan of how "nationalistic" the "games" have become. Muslims refusing to vie against Israelis. Jocks and jockettes living off government and private funding embarrassing their country, biting the hand that feeds them. Nah, I think the Olympics are passe. At least in my book they've gone the way of the NFL and the NBA. Perhaps there is just too much tension in the world today for fun and games.

Events involving horses are all I'd usually watch anyway and NBC gives them short shrift.

All of the abe ar personal opinions. No discussion nor arguments are necessary. Just personal blatherings.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
^^^ You can dissect anything to pieces. I just simply like to watch the athletes compete. People have been boycotting the Olympics since its inception, however, I don’t think “passe” has been a cause until now. Yeah, events involving horses have much less tension with all the controversy and corruption… but you’re in luck, there are Olympic equestrian events. Maybe you can tune in then… or not.

Reactions: kcghost and 3rdguy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They have toned down the nationalism quite a bit which I find very enjoyable. I get tired of the "rah rah" crap. Let athletes compete and just enjoy it. On YouTube I have been watching Torville and Dean in the 1984 Olympics. My gosh, they were just magical.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
It's unwatchable unless you like watching advertising more than sports.