PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I live in central Pa. Right now we are having a heat wave! Temps are in the upper 90's and with the dew point it feels like 110 degrees. For the last 2 days, no matter what tobacco I choose to smoke, and no matter what pipe i smoke it in...All tastes like ass! Anyone else ever have this issue?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Anyone else ever have this issue?

Yes. Every summer. For me cigars are much better in the summer if you have to smoke outside. They just taste right in the humidity.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Im outside smoking some Old Dublin out back in VA right now, with a cup of hot coffee. The taste is great, but I’m sweating my ass off. It’s definitely steamy today.
That being said, I’ve know folks who say they can’t taste this or that pending the season / temp, so YMMV

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never had a pipe taste like ass.
Here in Vegas now we're typically running around 105-115 without any heat index. Typically I have to get a bowl in first thing in the morning when it's only in the mid to low 80s or in the evening when it's cooled off to about 100 or 95. Typically though I can have just about any blend and it still tastes pretty true.
I have noticed that here when it cools off the to 50s or even 40s in the winter the Virginia blends aren't quite as flavorful as they are in the summer. Winter time it's usually more aromatics and VaPers for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We've had a rough time with the heat and are living by a loaner window unit until a new HVAC system can be installed in about a week. So it's been sweltering outside and none too pleasant in, though the window unit keeps it livable. Oddly, I've been able to enjoy a bowl of blend in my usual moderate way, right along. I expected to take a vacation from the pipe, but it seems reassuring. I've tried a sample of Peterson 3Ps from mrenglish and have two other burley blends coming from another Forums member. So far, it has actually served as a distraction. Yes, the whole of North America is "enjoying" a heat wave. On the basis that "the averages will prevail," I'm looking for a cooling trend, maybe as soon as I have the new a.c. unit. But don't count on it. Cooling trends in July and August don't sound familiar.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've personally never tasted ass so I'm not sure exactly what it tastes like. No question, the humidity has a signficant effect on the tobacco. I've been drying mine out even more than usual, almost to the crumble point. That seems to help a little.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It has been so humid (and hot) that when I lay tobacco out to dry, it end up becoming more moist than it was from the jar. Went out and bought an AC for the upstairs and that seems to be helping quite a bit.
But yeah, when it's in the high 90s here in Ohio with high humidity, my pipes do not taste the same at all. No idea what ass tastes like, but not that bad (I hope).

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I'd almost be willing to trade you guys. Yesterday was the first day in almost three weeks to break 70. It's been raining so much that the whole area is under flood watch and last week we lost a tree in the front yard not because of the wind, but because it floated up out of the mud!!!
All the cool damp makes it really challenging to smoke a pipe. The tobacco won't stay lit and even my morta tends to want to gurgle after about half an hour or so :roll:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Dang Kyriefurro. Where do you live?
Yeah it's been just the usual here in Texas. This time of year is typically 100 and the humidity, while not as high probably as the Midwest, does make it pretty challenging. Yesterday I sat out under a shade tree and we had about a 20-25 mph wind so it wasn't bad at all, by our standards

P

pipebuddy

Yeah, the problem is not so much the heat but the humidity. It makes not only the tobacco too moist but it also makes the pipe cake sweat.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I'm in Ohio and the heat wave is real. I noticed that the humidity in my area has not been that bad though. Low 60%. I smoke outside in a enclosed patio (with the windows open), and my pipes are smoking noticeably dry. My pipes and tobacco are kept inside in the AC though, and if I set out a bowl of tobacco, it will dry out. So that helps.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Here in south Carolina it's been hot.Been in the mid 90's feel like 101 or higher at times.I have traded coffee for cold milk with my Burley.Since I traded drinks I don't sweat as bad and can enjoy the smoke more.This is my first summer with the pipe and thing I'll smoke more cigars in this heat.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love the heat! Some CB Grape in a Dunhill zulu, and I'm off to do yard work!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Anything above 80F/27C is too damn hot! Got up to the mid 80s here today. Early morning and in the gloaming is when I enjoy the pipe most on these blistering hot days.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Get a Kirsten for hot summer days. I am not sure why but they handle the heat very well.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"I love the heat!" -- Lunatic. Granted, we all knew that already, but.... :twisted:
"CB Grape in a Dunhill zulu" -- New folks, this is a triple in-joke. Duane HATES Dunhills & Captain Black Grape. As for Zulus, well, you'll have to ask *him* about that. ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope, no joke. The zulu stays in my shed or glove box and is used solely for grape when doing yard work.
img_20170610_155758.jpg

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I’m sitting on the deck with a fan running to create a breeze, the heat and humidity makes pipe smoking a bit less enjoyable. But I’m doing it anyway. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.