PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hope this isn't belated, or maybe for the future.... Since he's starting out with the pipe, I'd always suggest buying small quantities of any one blend, like one tin, a pouch, or an ounce or two in bulk. This allows him to sample around. What he likes less, he should jar and try again later, since typically a smoker's tastes change and develop. For a second pipe, I'd recommend a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe, and specifically one of their special edition pipes with an acrylic stem that is more durable, still only about $25. See their site with other sponsors at the left of Forums. You might want to consider buying a pipe for yourself, to share the occasional bowl, if you and he would feel comfortable about that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hope this isn't belated, or maybe for the future.... Since he's starting out with the pipe, I'd always suggest buying small quantities of any one blend, like one tin, a pouch, or an ounce or two in bulk. This allows him to sample around. What he likes less, he should jar and try again later, since typically a smoker's tastes change and develop. For a second pipe, I'd recommend a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe, and specifically one of their special edition pipes with an acrylic stem that is more durable, still only about $25. See their site with other sponsors at the left of Forums. You might want to consider buying a pipe for yourself, to share the occasional bowl, if you and he would feel comfortable about that.
pretty close to what I was going to say. Get the sample sizes at first (tins or pouches) even if they all suck except for one he should still be very happy with it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Here is everything I ended up getting for him! The two in the jars are the Match 965 and Old Dark Fired. Thank you all for the help!
(Pardon the mess, we just did an escape room in a box last night and haven't yet cleaned up ?)
He should be delighted. Lucky guy.
I can't see any pipe cleaners. They're the only thing that I see missing. [they're a must have]

As suggested, have your BF join up and ask any questions that he might have.
After 35 years of smoking cigarettes, I switched to a pipe around 10 years ago and have not had a cigarette since. Not one. I'm now smoking way less and no longer crave for a smoke every 30 minutes like I did when I smoked coffin nails.
[In case you are unaware; cigarettes have a staggering 300-600 added chemicals. Pipe tobacco has none - some blends have a little harmless propylene glycol and/or food grade flavourings. This is why smoking a pipe is way less harmful than smoking cigarettes :) ]

At the time I had no mentor, nor was I aware of the pipe smoking forums so fumbled my way through by trial and error. It sure would have been nice had I been aware of this forum where members are only too happy to share their accumulated experience.

Just so you're aware; many of my budget briars smoke just as well as my more expensive pipes.
Same goes with my Missouri Meerschaum cobs that are part of my daily rotation.