PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Dear fellows,
I was wondering whether I could get any suggestion for some typical Virginia based tobacco that I can find in Europe

(in particular in Switzerland).

Lots of the American blends that I often hear to be mentioned in this site aren't available unfortunately here.
So far, I have tried Rattray's Hal 'o the Wynd Virginia/Perique blend. It is not a bad tobacco, but from what

I hear it is not a typical VaPer. I don't find it sweet at all, and sweetness I thought is a typical Virginia feature.

Besides I get a flavor that is reminiscent of cigarets, which I don't particularly like, and I was wondering whether

this is a generic feature of Virginia.
So far, I have been mostly smoking English style blends like Rattray's Red Raparee, MM976, Davidoff Royalty, EMP,

which I like a lot, but I would like to give a try to Virginias as well.
Thank you for your suggestions, they are highly appreciated!
Regards,
LT

Stokkebye's Luxury Twist flake is almost a Virginia cavendish, which is very cased and sweet.

McClelland is a US company, so you may not be able to get any of their super awesome Virginias. But, if you ever get the chance, bulk 5200 Red Cake is my absolute favorite red VA, and very sweet.

Astleys 109 or 44 are super great flakes.

Wessex also has a great selection.
However, if you don't care for the cigarette taste, then you may not like any of the Virginias, as the Virginia taste is mainly what cigarettes go for in flavor, I think. The term sweet when talking about Virginias, is not exactly the same as sweet as in aromatics. It's not going to be like sugar or candy on your tongue.
The flavor of Virginias is subtle, very subtle. In fact, when I smoke a Virginia, I am careful not to start rehtrohailing through my nose too soon, because it can overwhelm my senses early on and leave me unable to taste it any further. I also don't smoke straight Virginias after smoking something heavy, like a latakia or VaPer. I also brush my teeth well and cleans my palate well before hitting the straight Virginias.

Virginias are usually not suggested to beginners, because they are a very subtle leaf. And, even many old timers don't care much for the subtleness and turn to latakias instead.
I hope this all helps. I'm sure many will kick in with more suggestions. There are hundreds out there, but they're all pretty similar also.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
LT,
I good Virginia to start off with is McClelland 5100. It's a red Virginia that has a subtle sweetness to it.
Rich

4noggins.com

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I would recommend trying Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake. It is a benchmark Virginia and should be available in Switzerland. Not super sweet but just right. If you want really sweet try MacBaren HH Matured Virginia.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Frustratingly the range of blends available in the US compared to in Europe is incredible.
I'd suggest Dunhill flake for a straight virginia. I find Samuel Gawith Best Brown sweeter than Full Virginia flake but I much prefer the Dunhill Flake to either of the Gawith blends.
For Vaper blends I'd suggest Dunhill De-lux Navy Rolls, it's the sweetest blend I've suggested. Orlik Golden slices and Rattrays Marlin flake are both nice sweet Vapers but both are very subtle in taste, Marlin flake is sweetest of the two

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Thank you very much for the rapid response.
@ cosmicfolklore : very informative answer! in particular about understanding sweetness. I can at least try to see how I can taste it.
In general I haven't seen any McClelland in Europe.

But there is plenty of Dunhill, McBarren, Orlik, and Rattay. Samuel Gawith I think I have seen as well, but I am not sure.
Thanks again! I think I have now a list from which to choose!!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I find Marlin Flake to have a nice sweetness to it. Could be the fruitiness of the perique, but it still gives an overall impression of sweetness to me.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Can you get ahold of McClelland? Their matured virginia series, Blackwood Flake, or Christmas Cheer can fit the bill.
Dunhill Flake is good stuff too. MacBaren Roll Cake has a lemony sweetness if smoked slowly.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I recent;y enjoyed a tin of Old Gowrie that I put up in 2006. It was a very nice, sweet Virginia. If you can get the Rattray line, it's one I would put away and age. You won't be disappointed.
Mike S.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
In general I haven't seen any McClelland in Europe.

But there is plenty of Dunhill, McBarren ...
If you've got Mac Baren, perhaps Virginia #1 would be the ticket.

It's a nice smoke with a hint of extra sweetness ... almost like honey.
BTW ... welcome to the forum! :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I didn't say it specifically, but McClelland Blackwoods Flake is the first tobacco I smoked that made my mouth water it was such a burst of natural sweetness.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
In Switzerland, Synjeco sell (by mail order) both SG and GH&Co (as well as many others):

http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com/pataall/taba/3030.php?i5s12

http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com/pataall/taba/3020.php?i5s8

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I would suggest C&D's Opening Night. This us a tobacco that I find myself recommending quite often on this site. Very under rated VA flake IMO.
Check the reviews on TR - sweetness is mentioned quite frequently.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
If you can find Orlik Golden Sliced in my experience it doesn't get much sweeter than that. Sweet hay note. It says it has Perique, but you can't really taste it.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Indeed McClelland is not possible to find in Europe in my experience.

Well, next time I visit the US I can make sure I pass by a tobacconist :)
But there are plenty of suggestions here anyways!

Thanks again!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Top tip: let a VA rest in a jar for a few months after opening and the sweetness will really develop, while the cigarette note will mellow out and become less obtrusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.