Suggestions for Someone to Make a New Stem for a Bekler Meer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboprof

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I have a couple of meers, and I am getting into smoking them more and more. I have a really nice Bekler meer, not a figural piece but still a really cool carving with a lot of geometric stuff going on. Like many meerschaum pipes, the draw on this pipe is extremely tight, however. The problem is entirely with the stem, because the drilling on the meerschaum itself seems very open and well done.

I would love to smoke his pipe more, but the engineerring simply does not work for me. I could get the stem opened up, which may be my best option, but I was thinking it might be more fun to have a new stem made. In particular, I would love to have a green stem—the current stem is kind of an orange tortoise shell color, which is not my favorite.

The tenon is a push in style, with a fitting that screws into the stem. I think it should be possible to make a new stem with an integrated tenon, a la a briar pipe, that would fit into the pipe, although I’m fairly new at this so I’m not sure for certain. In any case, I was wondering if anyone knew of someone who might be able to do this kind of thing. I would love to convert this pipe into something that has the kind of engineering that we see on IMP pipes, or at least something close. Let me know if you have any idea about someone who could do that kind of work!

turboprof

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
@chasingembers, thanks so much for the recommendation! I will get in contact with Briarville ASAP. I did not know about them but they look fantastic.

And yes, I am interested in completely replacing the current screw in system that’s on the pipe. Having a green stem is just an extra bonus!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@chasingembers, thanks so much for the recommendation! I will get in contact with Briarville ASAP. I did not know about them but they look fantastic.

And yes, I am interested in completely replacing the current screw in system that’s on the pipe. Having a green stem is just an extra bonus!
Most meers have that shitty restrictive system.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Most meers have that shitty restrictive system.
Mine was too tight on the draw, too. I drilled it out.

Let us know how it goes. ?

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, suggest Briarville. He's re-stemmed several of my pipes, including two antique meerschaums, and in one of those cases, also rejoined a shattered shank, keeping the original rose gold band.

Status
Not open for further replies.