PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi!

I haven't smoked my pipe in over 6 months. I tried to have a bowl this evening but it was a bit strong for me. Also one of the reasons I stopped was because I was tired of drying my tin tobacco. Any suggestions for quality bulk-available blends that are a nice crossover between mild aro and light english? A bit like how Frog Morton was. I remember trying Bengal Slices once but hated the tobacco's presentation (broken flake I think its called)?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chopper

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City

Hi!

I haven't smoked my pipe in over 6 months. I tried to have a bowl this evening but it was a bit strong for me. Also one of the reasons I stopped was because I was tired of drying my tin tobacco. Any suggestions for quality bulk-available blends that are a nice crossover between mild aro and light english? A bit like how Frog Morton was. I remember trying Bengal Slices once but hated the tobacco's presentation (broken flake I think its called)?

Thanks
As suggested ^^^^^^^^^^
Lane Ltd "HGL" is really just Captain Black-original, with a small amount of added Latakia. It's smooth and creamy, with a hint of smoke and pine, but not much at all. Room note is very pleasant. Good stuff.

You could also buy some bulk, blending-Latakia and add a pinch or two to your favorite aromatic mixtures ....and create your own customized blend(s). Have fun finding Nirvana

Reactions: wyfbane

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Cornell and Diehl Old College. Apparently I'm the only one who's ever smoked it, but I have a very high opinion of it as an English Aromatic.

However, don't go into it thinking you'll get McClelland vibes. You won't.

Reactions: Magpiety

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, here's a couple of my favorites:
Whiskey Biscuit Gravy from online seller, Just For Him. (no it doesn't taste like whiskey, biscuits or gravy)
Hunting Creek from one of our sponsors here, The Country Squire.
Both probably lean a little more towards the aro and are fairly light on the latakia. But it is noticeable, and the other tobaccos are not saturated with humectants. Easy smoking and not a huge nic hit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Hi!

Thanks
Kramers blend for Cary Grant is awesome and available in bulk. And is specifically what you asked for.

• Love
Reactions: wyfbane

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
You might like Count Polaski by Sutliff.
Count Pulaski is my favourite crossover by far.
Mild to medium, mild nicotine and a light topping.

A kind and considerate member here is arranging a pound of CP for me here in Oz [where tobacco is outrageously expensive]

Another favourite that you might like @ahouston is Match Sunrise - a Dunhill Early Morning Pipe match.
Also from Sutliff, it's mild to medium, mild nicotine and like Count Pulaski it's got a light topping.

When I had a pound of each I smoked at least a few bowls every day so they disappeared rather quick.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
A replacement suggestion: C&D Epiphany, which I would have suggested if I had thought of it before. This is a very accessible, non-biting blend. I think it has a rum topping, along with all the familiar flavors of an OTC with Latakia. Really an excellent blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.