PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimothyC

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Hello fellows. I am re-entering the pipe smoking arena as I have been away from pipes for about 25 years. I have been smoking cigars for many many years however. Can you recommend a a beginner tobacco for me? One reason I stopped smoking 25 years ago was because my tongue was constantly sore. I loved the flavor and the taste of my pipe tobacco but grew weary of the bite. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Tim.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Carter Hall or Prince Albert for an easy to smoke no bite burley blend. Hints of nuttiness and cocoa.

Something a bit more flavorful but not likely to bite and different from the nutty burley, maybe Edward G Robinson blend. Nice old-timey taste.

Maybe Peterson / Dunhill 965 or Early Morning Pipe if you are interested in English / Balkan blends with Latakia.

All good places to start. Welcome aboard!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Do you smoke a cigar fast or slow?

I was a slow cigar smoker. A noella could last me over an hour easy. I prefer Virginia's because they lend themselves to a slower cadence and slow smoking to pull all the flavors.

Reactions: diamondback

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Technique is critical - be careful not to hotbox the crap out of the pipe. Take it slow. Dry the tobacco more than you think you should, then dry it some more. Take it slow. Don’t tamp or pack the crap out of it either. Gently, gently.

Also, pay attention to what makes your tongue sore. Is it burnt? You’ll know if you were puffing like a maniac. Or was it a certain tobacco. Some people have a body chemistry that reacts badly to burley or red Virginia leaf, maybe others. If one tobacco hurts you and others don’t it may be that your body doesn’t like that variety and you have to avoid it.

TimothyC

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Technique is critical - be careful not to hotbox the crap out of the pipe. Take it slow. Dry the tobacco more than you think you should, then dry it some more. Take it slow. Don’t tamp or pack the crap out of it either. Gently, gently.

Also, pay attention to what makes your tongue sore. Is it burnt? You’ll know if you were puffing like a maniac. Or was it a certain tobacco. Some people have a body chemistry that reacts badly to burley or red Virginia leaf, maybe others. If one tobacco hurts you and others don’t it may be that your body doesn’t like that variety and you have to avoid it.
Great feedback thanks!

TimothyC

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Carter Hall or Prince Albert for an easy to smoke no bite burley blend. Hints of nuttiness and cocoa.

Something a bit more flavorful but not likely to bite and different from the nutty burley, maybe Edward G Robinson blend. Nice old-timey taste.

Maybe Peterson / Dunhill 965 or Early Morning Pipe if you are interested in English / Balkan blends with Latakia.

All good places to start. Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the advice. I will fwd this comment to my inbox so I do lose it!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
45 mins for a 6" 50 ring size. I love the bold flavor of a well aged Maduro!
I think that would put you in the faster category.

May want to listen the suggestions on the Burley blends, they perform well even when pushed.
If you like peaty scotch that tastes like a camp fire, then you may enjoy Latika blends.
Virginias are awesome, but you have to be patient with them.

TimothyC

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
I think that would put you in the faster category.

May want to listen the suggestions on the Burley blends, they perform well even when pushed.
If you like peaty scotch that tastes like a camp fire, then you may enjoy Latika blends.
Virginias are awesome, but you have to be patient with them.
Meh, I'm a Bourbon guy. Favorite is Knob Creek Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey 100 Proof. I've tried several Scotch Whisky's but taste did not outweigh price. Bold flavors for me in all things. Thanks Briarbuck!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I'll state up front that I am a new piper, so take it for what it is worth...

I found of all the tobaccos that helped me perfect technique is Carter Hall (Burley/Virginia). (Prince Albert (Burley/Cavendish) is good too) It is not an exciting tobacco, but it is an easy one as it almost smokes itself... you can use this as a foundation to begin forays into other blends and types of tobaccos.

I didn't start with Carter Hall and I had lots of tongue bite. Heading there, I got traction and never looked back, though I still enjoy a bowl of Carter Hall now and then... it's kind of a bread/butter kind of experience... not super exciting, but solid, satisfying and dependable.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I think the taste of a lot of the C&D burleys would be appreciated by a cigar smoker. Pegasus is my favorite, it never bit me and lots of good, earthy, no nonsense tobacco taste. The C&D burley flakes are also good.

965, now made by peterson i believe, is a great light english that i think might be appreciated by a cigar smokers palate.

I am a sometime cigar smoker myself.

Oh and i will second the carter hall suggestion.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
All the wet bulk aromatics made my tongue hurt at first.. I think it might have been that I wasn't letting them dry long enough. I haven't been back to them since though.

Status
Not open for further replies.