PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I want to try my hand at creating my own blend of English/Balkan/American. I have blending dark fired Kentucky burley, Latakia, and Perique, PS 701 Virginia, and black cavendish. I intend to press it for some time then slice it. Success would be something that might resemble Escudo. This is my first attempt at such a project. Before floundering around on my own, it seems prudent to ask for advice from the forum. Can anyone suggest a recipe using some or all of these tobaccos?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The more different tobaccos you use, the longer it will take to get the proportions just right if you are particular. I'd mix two or three bowls at a time in a pottery bowl for a while before you try the blend with pressure, to get the proportions. The simple place to start is equal parts Virginia and burley with a fat pinch of Cavendish. And move out from there. On other rounds, add pinches of dark-fired, Lat and Perique. When you get something that might work, try pressing it. Blenders can work on one recipe for years even, so take your time. You may be like me and just get satisfied mixing by inspiration, a different blend each time, no pressing.

Reactions: pitchfork

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You could mix the 701 with the Perique (at about 5-10%) to make a VaPer. It wouldn't be Escudo, but it could be tasty.

In my experience, mixing VAs with Perique is almost fail-proof, just so long as you don't get too much Perique for your liking.

Reactions: oldtoby and dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.