PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Lately, curiosity has led me down the road to knowledge, which has no hazzard

of traffic jams, about Meerschaum Pipes. I've been reading an amusing little book, The Art of Pipe Smoking by Joaquin Verdanguer. It's a collection of short essays and thoughts that were likely written originally on the back of a wine list. In it, Verdanguer (an obvious nom de pen) states: Until 1850 Meerschaums were made exclusively in Austria. Then the French butted in, boastfully advertising their wares as 'French Meerschaums' and selling them by the thousands. That would have would have been all right if they hadn't played a dirty trick on their competitors. Out of the shavings and other by-products they manufactured Pipes of inferior quality and slyly marketed them under the trade-mark 'Made in Austria.' Consequently this label was so discredited that a Viennese Pipe dealer showing a prospective buyer a truly magnificent Meerschaum and saying to him 'A genuine Austrian product, sir!' was bewildered when the customer would mutter 'confounded racket' and stalk out to the shop." Just as it is today, the Meerschaum trades have historically been the site of many frauds and spivs. The market for counterfeit would bear no profit were it not for the existence of true coin.
Recently in conversations with Ben Rapaport, who is an excellent source of information about the study of Meerschaums and culture, I've been given a list of suggested reading sources, which I think is worthwhile. Ben is a rare source of knowledge accumulated over a lifetime of study on relevant information about Pipe smoking. He's available at ben70gray@gmail.com
Christie's. South Kensington, September 2010, The Trevor Barton Collection

Palais Kinsky, Wiener Kunst Auktionen 41, 22-23 Oktober 2002

Guernsey's, A Gentleman's Collection, January 19-20, 1991

PB 84, Sotheby-Parke Bernet, Pipes, April 1978

Museum of Tobacco Art and History, Nashville, Meerschaum Masterpieces. The Premiere Art of Pipes (1991)

Hungarian National Museum, The History of the Hungarian Pipemaker’s Craft. History Through the Pipemaker’s Art (Budapest, 2000)

Schmied-Duperrex, A. e. Boccazzi-Varotto, A.The Lausanne Pipe Museum/Il Museo della Pipa di Losanna e degli Oggetti da Tabacco (Ivrea, 1989)

Muzei Iantaria. Mundshtuki i Trubki XVIII--Nachala XX Vekov iz Chastnykh Kollektsii: Katalog Vystavki (Mouthpieces and Pipes of the 18th--early 20th Century from Private Collections. Exhibition Catalogue) (2007)
With the benefit of his guidance, I've acquired the following books, which are excellent sources of information, insight and understanding of our passion for Meerschaums that has been active for ages:
The History of the Hungarian Pipemaker's Craft, which is a catalogue of the

2001 Hungarian National Museum's exhibit in 2001.

Meerschaum Pipes @ E-Bay (1999-2010), Joao P. Martins 9e.)

Our Pipe-Smoking Forebears, Ferenc Levardy

Antique Pipes (A Journey Around a World), Carlos Armero
Ben's knowledge of these books and more gives him the ability to advise, offer counsel as to whether this or that book serves the prospective buyer's needs and interests. Articles that Ben has written, which have been published in some of the

current magazines include:
http://www.pt-magazine.com/home.php?id=119&cid=703&article_id=10271 (The Great Divide: You Are What You Collect)

A Legendary Company Gone, While Its Logo Lives On: The Other Demuth, CIGAR Magazine, Spring 2010

World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893: The Columbus Pipe Redux, CIGAR Magazine, Fall 2008

Collecting Conundrum: Meerschaum Pipes Past or Meerschaum Pipes Present?, P&T, Spring 2006

Victorian Curiosities, CIGAR Magazine, Winter 2005-2006

Unsolved History: The Meerschaum Company of America, an Early 20th Century Mining Venture in New Mexico, Pipes & Tobaccos, Winter, Vol. 8, No. 4

Collecting Antique Smoking Pipes. An Introduction, CIGAR Magazine, Spring 2006

Victorian Curiosities, CIGAR Magazine, Winter 2005-2006
I'm using the format of this thread, to provide venue for further comments, experiences and participation. Sharing is a great way for all of us to learn. Ben is a wonderful resource that is available to us all and certainly one that I would encourage anyone to benefit from.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Thank you, so much, Fred. That list is like the Rosetta stone!

And once again I am astounded by what a fantastic resource this community is--so glad to have found it.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Have to double-down on romeowoods comment and just add my thanks to Fred for the great information and comments.

Thank you Fred !!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You're welcome guys. This stuff is really good to

get into. When you discover more about the Pipes and

tobaccos you smoke, it makes them more enjoyable. Knowledge

also help you to keep from getting ripped off.

Jan 3, 2011
Not sure if this belongs here, but where would quality meerschaums be purchased? I have always hesitated to purchase a meerschaum, because of my obvious ignorance regarding the quality of those offered at various outlets. I suppose I have heard so many horror stories, that I distrust everyone.
Thank you for the info above!

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Fred, thank-you for taking the time to help us out.
Speaking of which, sometime in the next six months or so I'd like to invest $200-$250 in another Meerschaum,.....when I find the one in particular that I want, would you mind if I PM you and get your opinion?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. My suggestion is to check out the All Things Meerschaum

group on Smoker's Forum. http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/

The wit & wisdom of over 2 years of Meerschaum Pipe facts, culture and pleasures

are contained in the sticky threads, while the resource of 303 current members

is there for you to explore and benefit from. It was created for guys like you

who want to know more about these Pipes and has served as a platform for sharing

information, both good and not so good, about individual experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.