PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Not that I don't trust those in this community but I have a suggested enhancement for security on people's profiles. As stated in previous posts this site is getting more popular everyday and with that popularity comes more risks. In everyone's profile is their real name and where they live, if they choose to list them. Tough this doesn't seem like much sometimes the simplest information is all that is needed for someone who is purposely trying to harm someone.
My suggestion is just to look at adding some simple security rights that can be adjusted by the user. Like not being able to see someones real name unless you are friends with them.
Sorry if this seems paranoid. Just looking out for everyone. :idea:
(Also a spell check in the post box would be great. lol I am a horrible speller)

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
If you're a horrid speller, use Google Chrome. It has a spell-checker built in!

As far as security goes, I could see where that could be nice. Of course, I use my real name as my username pretty much everywhere I go on the internet, but, well, I'm a fool.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Use Apple Safari, it also has spellcheck, and the benefit of not being google powered!

As for security, I typically am pretty free with my information.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
While I was in the service I had to write my social down over 1000 times on seperate papers over my 14 yrs. If someone wants to steal my identity they had the chance awhile ago.

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
Well on this very page. On the left under log in, there is the your profile. Click that and I get a forbidden message screen.
I need directions of some sort how to even contact others as friends, I have been contacted and allowed others but tried to figure out how to ask others with no luck.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I will put it this way, there is no information on here that you couldn't get from the yellow pages in your area, or even a quick google search! I wouldn't be too worried about the security of the information you posted here! :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't consider it a big deal sharing my name and location with fellow forum members, but some people may disagree with universal viewing privileges to all comers browsing around the internet. Optional security controls wouldn't hurt anybody who wasn't worried and would satisfy those who did have concerns - it is a worthy suggestion.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
Use Apple Safari, it also has spellcheck, and the benefit of not being google powered!

As for security, I typically am pretty free with my information.
Safari lags like a pimp. /rant
as far as security goes i think this would be a good addition.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
JJtroutbum Said: I need directions of some sort how to even contact others as friends, I have been contacted and allowed others but tried to figure out how to ask others with no luck.
To add members as friends, you have to do it through the main site, not the forums.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
What information I post can be found in the local telephone directory.

There are plenty of safeguards about anything else, so being cautious

is something I've always thought to be a good idea.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
To those who who think my idea is not to their liking, you can file it under the same category as wearing your seat belt and putting on sun screen. Always optional and recommended but not required. That's the good thing about America. By law I can't force you to do something, just to prevent you from falling victim due to your own incompetence or just falling victim to someone else's own maliciousness regardless of what you do. Not using security is like not having health insurance. Don't want the inconvenience before hand but sure would have been nice have after something happens.
As someone who's job it is to develop systems for the company I work for. We have security built into everything. Not that we have ever had anything go wrong, but then again that may be because of our security. Who knows?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm all for it if the administrators want to implement additional security. I like the seatbelt analogy, though in my neck of the woods it is mandatory to wear a belt. Still, it's a choice we all make every time we step into the vehicle; it can do nothing but help in the scheme of things.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Chrome is pretty as can be!

Unless you're on OS X, but you OS X guys don't even have FULL SCREEN, for God's sake! It's ridiculous! I mean, you're going to get it with OS X Lion...but you're only getting it because the iPhone has it.

Windows is where it is at. With Chrome, a beautiful browser, in an excellent, real operating system.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I am browsing in full screen, right now. As both a Windows power user, and a recreational Macintosh user, I can tell which is better (for me at least) and hands down OS X comes on top every time. In no way is insinuating that OS X is an inferior or somehow "fake" operating system, a fair, or accurate judgement, that can only come from inexperience.

But to each his own.

/rant

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Yes but why buy health insurance when the only injury that could possibly happen is a very slight ring in the ear?! Of course this is just my personal opinion and in no way reflects Pipesmagazine.com's position on the subject.
I just don't see the need to put up a fence and place an armed guard around a bit of information, when you can get the same information two doors down for free with no guard or fence.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Surely if personal information isn't put into your profile then others can't access it?

Personally i use some details on here but nothing more than could be found through a phone book or the council tax register.
But then again, more security is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't impact on the speed of the site.....

Status
Not open for further replies.