PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I recently purchased this lovely Peterson System Deluxe 12.5 and was surprised and disappointed in how much it gurgled on its inaugural smoke with a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye. After struggling through the bowl and dumping out the ash I noticed a fair amount of wet dottle still left at the bottom of the chamber and that the draft hole entered the chamber close to a quarter inch too high, not allowing the last of the tobacco to burn properly. As a remedy I decided to fill this space with pipe mud that I made by saving ash from bowls I smoked in other pipes. I carefully picked through the ash, making sure to collect the most powdery material and discarding any bits of tobacco no matter how small. I mixed this bit of ash with a few drops of water to create a loose paste that I applied to the bottom of the chamber and tamped it down firmly. After a couple of days I repeated the process. Once set I found the mud dried completely hard and was able to build up enough mud to meet the draft hole with this method. I'm writing as I smoke my third bowl with this pipe, Dark Birds Eye again, and am happy to report that it smokes like a charm, cool and dry with absolutely no issues. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is having similar issues. I'm very happy with the results and hope this anecdote can help.
C14CA2DE-6D8C-4494-9E41-D241FD5CC022.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I recently purchased this lovely Peterson System Deluxe 12.5 and was surprised and disappointed in how much it gurgled on its inaugural smoke with a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye. After struggling through the bowl and dumping out the ash I noticed a fair amount of wet dottle still left at the bottom of the chamber and that the draft hole entered the chamber close to a quarter inch too high, not allowing the last of the tobacco to burn properly. As a remedy I decided to fill this space with pipe mud that I made by saving ash from bowls I smoked in other pipes. I carefully picked through the ash, making sure to collect the most powdery material and discarding any bits of tobacco no matter how small. I mixed this bit of ash with a few drops of water to create a loose paste that I applied to the bottom of the chamber and tamped it down firmly. After a couple of days I repeated the process. Once set I found the mud dried completely hard and was able to build up enough mud to meet the draft hole with this method. I'm writing as I smoke my third bowl with this pipe, Dark Birds Eye again, and am happy to report that it smokes like a charm, cool and dry with absolutely no issues. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is having similar issues. I'm very happy with the results and hope this anecdote can help.
View attachment 39451
1/4”?!
What’s left of the chamber?!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't smoke to the bottom knowingly. It happens sometimes, like today, but I like to have little tobacco left over on the bottom. Just tiny bit to buffer the chamber from the ember. I'm pretty sure, I'm paranoid since I cracked number of pipes when I first started smoking pipe.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I don't smoke to the bottom knowingly. It happens sometimes, like today, but I like to have little tobacco left over on the bottom. Just tiny bit to buffer the chamber from the ember. I'm pretty sure, I'm paranoid since I cracked number of pipes when I first started smoking pipe.
And you attribute the cracks to having smoked the pipes to the bottom? Did they burn through as well?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
And you attribute the cracks to having smoked the pipes to the bottom? Did they burn through as well?
Chances are pretty good that I was torching the bottom with lighter while trying to smoke the last bit of the tobacco.

After I stopped trying to smoke the last bits, no more issues. And my technique has gotten better.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Zippo or Bic. Problem has more to do with sucking the flame to the bottom repeatedly hoping to smoke all the tobacco not knowing that's scorchingly the heck out of the briar. I guess after doing that one too many times did the trick.
Live and learn. When the smoke becomes very thin towards the end of the bowl after a few attempts at lighting, I know it's about time to dump it out. I hope you didn't lose too many nice pipes.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I just empty my ashtray through a small tea strainer and save up a little container of ash in case I need it. Pipe ash works great for fixes like yours. I've also foolishly cracked the bottom of a pipe one time while smoking to hot when I didn't have enough cake, mudded up the bottom of the bowl and it still works great.

Oct 7, 2016
A few years ago there was a thread here that elaborated on the benefits of using hardwood ash and/or activated charcoal (not sure which one or if both were mentioned more or less interchangeably) over ash from cigars or pioe tobacco. Turns out that food grade activated charcoal powder is cheap, available on Amazon, and a small 2 ounce jar that I bought then for 5 or 6 bucks is enough to last for a long time. Easy to make water based pipe mud, or any other coating that calls fo ash as an ingredient. Maybe it is better than tobacco ash, maybe not, I am not a materials engineer, but it is convenient and easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.