Subtle Yet Obviously Different Pipes - How To Choose?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Which One?

• Top One

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Bottom One

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Occasionally I come across 2 pipes that are very similar yet upon closer examination are obviously different. It's always difficult to decide which I like more.

Maybe some opinions of others will help. Which of these do you prefer and why?

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

They're both by the same carver.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are going to a stylized design like this, go all the way. The top one is handsome, but looks like a traditional design that is somewhat jazzed up. The bottom one has the integrity of being exotic all around.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't care for either one all that much so I'd probably take the top one because the grain appears to be nicer. May be the photo but it looks out of round though. The workmanship on both does not appear to be that great. If they're $90 pipes, buy both perhaps if you like them. If they're $200 pipes plus, which I expect they probably are, well ....... It's your money to do with as you please.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Another odd ball here. I like the wood grain on the top one + the top of the bowl is a normal shape, maybe easier to light?

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They're both interesting in the same way that a car wreck with bloody bodies flung around it is interesting, but I'd vote neither. They're sort of the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of ugly. The joinery work is clumsy in both. The alignment of bowl to shank is poorly executed, and the profile flow is clumsy. The finish of both bowls, at least in the pictures, looks pretty so-so. It's an ambitious idea, indifferently realized.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Keeping with the sleeker thinner lines of the design, the bottom bowl goes better with the design. The top one appears out of balance with the heavier thicker bowl. I agree with autumnfog that the shank to stummel/bowl should be a lot cleaner.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.