PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Does any retailer offer a Pipe Tobacco related subscription box? I've seen them for dang near everything else from Bourbon and Cigars to Chocolate and Cheese. Did a short search but didn't find anything but seems to me with the endless Tobacco options it would be a great idea. Especially for those of us with the Pokemonish gotta try em all affliction. I know I'd take part?‍♂️

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I meander through pipe and tobacco retailers online and haven't seen a subscription for blends. My sense is that marketing on new blends and other is so intense, most people want to jump on the latest special edition, sale, or exotic blend, and pipe smokers of this ilk are so picky. That is to say, we're picky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Cgars Ltd. Does a mystery style sampler the UK, but that’s probably not going to help you.

Might have to just try making your own with 1oz samples of bulk blends.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I think it's a decent idea. Maybe subs for Va, VaPer, English etc and then each month you get a tin or two, some bulk, a pack of cleaners and a little paper explaining the blends. I can see Laudisi doing this, what with their access to C&D's four hundred million blend catalog, supply wouldn't be an issue. Maybe once or twice a year you get something "special," a hard to find tin or something.

Reactions: Merton

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
I think it's a decent idea. Maybe subs for Va, VaPer, English etc and then each month you get a tin or two, some bulk, a pack of cleaners and a little paper explaining the blends. I can see Laudisi doing this, what with their access to C&D's four hundred million blend catalog, supply wouldn't be an issue. Maybe once or twice a year you get something "special," a hard to find tin or something.
Something like this would be great! I'd have to sub to a couple?‍♂️

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Well I found one sorta.
But it's really not worth it
In my opinion they claim you'll always get more value worths of tobacco then the cost of the subscription but 40$+ shipping out of the UK for 2.5oz of Tobacco seems a tad steep for most blends.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I thinking would be short lived. Cigars have 20x the variations by label and blend. Although to be honest they’re mostly garbage.

Aug 1, 2012
It was tried before the craze took hold by a few different companies. I think it would be a great idea to revive them but honestly, I don't think many of the big sellers will consider it. It might also run into difficulties with some tobacco sales laws so that might complicate things.

Reactions: HopHand

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I thinking would be short lived. Cigars have 20x the variations by label and blend. Although to be honest they’re mostly garbage.
?C&D catalogue has 150+ blends alone.
(Not including sub blends and those they make for others). Pease does 70+, Sutliff over 200 bulk varieties, etc. you could do a tobacco of the month (assuming Deeming rules don’t kill the industry) for several lifetimes.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
If you are buying by the ounce in bulk, you can get variety fairly cheaply, unlike collecting bottles of bourbon for example!
I started doing the bulk sample route and decided rather quickly after including the cost of a good jar and jar space It really wasn't worth it vs a Tin. I could leave tins unopened tell I got around to trying them bulk had to go in a jar asap. And took up a bunch of space vs a stack of Tins.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Biggest obstacle would be the finicky nature of pipers.
Lots turn their nose at Aros; some are Va only, VaPers can be distasteful for some. Then you get into the flavoring components.
I was gifted a liquor box one year. They had a questionair(sp) I filled out that narrowed down what they sent me. I didn't like everything I got but most was worth keeping and they managed to change up my all time favorite ?‍♂️
Saying something really considering what a picky finniky jerk I am about liquor despite how little I drink.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I was gifted a liquor box one year. They had a questionair(sp) I filled out that narrowed down what they sent me. I didn't like everything I got but most was worth keeping and they managed to change up my all time favorite ?‍♂️
Saying something really considering what a picky finniky jerk I am about liquor despite how little I drink.
But even if you check off; for example, Va.... you’ll get folks that don’t like Lakeland essence, or the Danish style, or cocoa topping etc.
Heck; I’m a English/Balkan guy primarily, but pretty much hate anything with Yenidje in it. That slightly sour tinge reminds me of the “spoiled” flavor of yogurt.
And don’t even get started on Aros? Anise/licorice is a love it or hate it proposition. Same with fruit essences.
Ditto levels of sweetness.... Some love a 1Q but can’t stomach Molto Dolce.

Reactions: SBC and anotherbob

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
But even if you check off; for example, Va.... you’ll get folks that don’t like Lakeland essence, or the Danish style, or cocoa topping etc.
Heck; I’m a English/Balkan guy primarily, but pretty much hate anything with Yenidje in it. That slightly sour tinge reminds me of the “spoiled” flavor of yogurt.
And don’t even get started on Aros? Anise/licorice is a love it or hate it proposition. Same with fruit essences.
Ditto levels of sweetness.... Some love a 1Q but can’t stomach Molto Dolce.
I see this and my first thought is oh it wouldn't be that bad then. I remember Im waiting on an order with 14 different blends in my second attempt to replace a single discontinued favorite and just have to ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ myself for doubting.