PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm currently doing a tobacco trade with another Forum member and had almost decided to consider my tobacco for him as a gift; he was offering a tin-for-tin trade for something I remembered not liking very much. Plus, I already have 8 tins of that blend in the cellar.
Then I decided to see what I wrote about that blend when I first tried it. [Head smack] I used the words "delicious" and "very good." What's more, I had initially bought 11 tins. Which means I'd smoked three tins over the last three years and still I had a completely wrong memory of that blend!
Maybe I just have so many blends in the cellar that I can't keep them straight. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind. Whatever the case, I'm glad I checked my journal.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am sure you're not alone. I use a database and it has come in handy on more than one occasion.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
About a month ago I started rating every pipe/tobacco combo on a note on my smart phone (since I almost always have it close by). I'm rating them YES, NO or MEH. Pretty soon I'm going to put it into a spreadsheet so it's easier to search by pipe or tobacco.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Krizzose:
I don't know what platform you're on with the smartphone and whatever device you'd be using for a spreadsheet, but you should be able to at least bring the text in from a note. That would save you having to retype everything.
You're likely more of an authority on your various OSes than I am, but if you run into any questions -- at least on the iOS/MacOS side of things -- feel free to ask. (But most things are much easier to accomplish on a Mac than a Windows machine. . . )
Bob

I am just not disciplined enough to keep a journal. I have several that I started, but set them aside before even really logging anything. I'm not sure how much I could rely on my own tastes. Some things I hated years ago, months ago, I like now. And, things that I've liked sometimes don't suit my tastes.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I built a spreadsheet today.
On tobaccoreviews.com I searched for recommended and highly recommended blends with 25 or more reviews. Plus I selected all the possible columns. There were 422 results.
I copied the results and pasted them in excel, cleaned it up a bit, and added a few rows of others blends I have but didn't make the cut of 422. Then I added a column for ounces and another for I got it/I want it. It should be a simple matter to add columns for my own commentary.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been keeping all my notes on Tobaccoreviews.com, they have an input field specifically marked "Collection Notes" on your account page.

They haven't lost my notes yet so it works pretty well, and you're already on the website when curiosity gets the best of you and you want to look for something new.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Good idea. I keep buying Sam Gawith Best Brown unscented when trying to buy one I liked but cannot remember the name of.

Status
Not open for further replies.