PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Just received a pre-owned Peterson. On initial inspection the stem was a bit difficult to remove, a. It harder yet to put back on, and now it won’t budge. The pipe looks to be in good condition and the seller has said he only smoked it 2-3 times, but…. Help?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
In the beginning of my collecting, this happened to me a lot. I am not sure why, but it has been many years since I've noticed a stuck stem. I think that maybe it is because I wait so long after getting a new pipe before I try to remove a stem that the briar and vulcanite have time to equalize or something.

The freezer always worked for me, and pencil lead. I think that after you smoke it a few times, it may all balance out and you won't have to worry about it any more. Fingers crossed for ya. I hope it works out.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Thanks all. The freezer worked like a charm for getting it off. I will try coating the tenon with pencil lead before replacing.

Now I'm wondering: is this a permanent fix, or will I have to treat it with lead with every use/cleaning?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks all. The freezer worked like a charm for getting it off. I will try coating the tenon with pencil lead before replacing.

Now I'm wondering: is this a permanent fix, or will I have to treat it with lead with every use/cleaning?
It will eventually settle, but keep a pencil handy when cleaning until then.

Reactions: Sanzini