PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathanael F

Lurker
Jun 10, 2021
Good day,

I joined this forum specifically because I am stumped. I primarily smoke a Lorenzetti Julius Caesar pipe that treats me very well. My issue lies with my apple style Brigham that I spotted in an antique shop in Canada for $17. It smokes fine but the stem won't separate. I have tried the acetone method, freezing it, just pulling as hard as I can out of frustration, I have contacted Brigham for advice to no avail. It's a 2 dot, with Brigham 209 stamped into the bottom. I would like to get a filter in it as I like a stiffer draw and would like to try Brigham's filters but have had no luck.

Any advice would me very much appreciated.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Got a picture of the pipe? I would not use acetone as a possibility of it messing with the stem. Rubbing alcohol or high proof drinking alcohol. You will have to get a bit of it inside the stem to soak the tars. Don’t pull straight you want to use a twist motion when removing. There is always the risk when trying to force it that the shank will snap.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
If I remember correctly some of those old Brighams have a metal tenon. I think that @jeepnewbie has you pointed in the right direction. You may want to plug the stem with something (plastic wrap works) then fill the bowl and shank with high proof alcohol. You could even put a cotton ball in the bowl to help soak up any loosened gunk. Let it sit overnight and see if it gets you anywhere. Good luck!

Nathanael F

Lurker
Jun 10, 2021
Got a picture of the pipe? I would not use acetone as a possibility of it messing with the stem. Rubbing alcohol or high proof drinking alcohol. You will have to get a bit of it inside the stem to soak the tars. Don’t pull straight you want to use a twist motion when removing. There is always the risk when trying to force it that the shank will snap.
Good to know, glad I joined as I heard acetone would be safe to use. I haven't tried anything so invasive on it yet as I wasn't sure if it would spoil the pipe. I only have the two pipes and they are expensive and difficult to get my hands on in Barbados. I will give that a try though and see how it works. Worst case is I stop chain smoking my pipes :P.

Thank you, I'll let you know how it pans out.PXL_20210610_143354539.jpg

Reactions: DangerStranger

Nathanael F

Lurker
Jun 10, 2021
If I remember correctly some of those old Brighams have a metal tenon. I think that @jeepnewbie has you pointed in the right direction. You may want to plug the stem with something (plastic wrap works) then fill the bowl and shank with high proof alcohol. You could even put a cotton ball in the bowl to help soak up any loosened gunk. Let it sit overnight and see if it gets you anywhere. Good luck!
I was thinking that but I am unsure, I'll give it a soak first and if that doesn't work I guess I'll take to the
hair dryer. If I can get it I'll be super happy as it smokes nicer than my Julius Caesar.

Reactions: DangerStranger

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The first 3 yrs I smoked pipes now out of 7, I bought old estate pipes and cleaned 'em and smoked 'em.
I encountered many different challenges, allowing me to learn more and more about these fascinating historical pieces.
It's the ones that give you problems that teach you the most.
One of the fables I glommed onto when I found this website and the youtube pipe community, and so forth, was that you get a better smoke from older briar, and too, a previously smoked pipe might be more flavorful for various reasons. (?)
I've seen miraculous recoveries of old beaters on Reborn Pipes, and that alone inspired me to acquire old estates.
I got some mesh pads, a couple of reamers, cotton swabs and pipe cleaners and away we go!
Most of my pipes cost me less than $20.00. It feels good to clean one up and return it to duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.