PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I just popped my second tin of EMP and boy is it harsh. I had an even tougher time the first go round, but this second run wasn't much better. Nevertheless, I'm stubborn and determined to enjoy it if it kills me. My reasons are twofold: first, EMP is a classic blend that many pipers I respect recommend; second, EMP is an oriental and I really want to find the beauty in this tobacco genre. My only problem is that I'm unsure how to approach EMP. Should I dry it out some more? (It already comes a bit dry in my opinion.) What are the specific flavor profiles I should be looking for? I know people claim EMP is a light English, but I don't get the smokiness that is characteristic of English blends; and, oh yeah, I really like English blends. I'm experiencing more bitter flavors; not the kind of bitterness that comes from pushing the tobacco too hard, but the kind that seems to be a part of the experience, almost floral. Is this the flavor profile I should pay particular attention to?
I find pipe smoking a very interesting hobby; one has to maintain a level of objectivity. I find that when I open up myself to the possibilities in a particular blend, I'm able to not only enjoy it, but truly experience it the way the blender intends it to be. I have yet to come across a blend that I wasn't able to appreciate. EMP, however, has me completely confounded.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
EMP contains both bright and red Virginia's. Have you ever encountered a problem smoking red Virginia blends? Many seem to have a problem with them So I winder if that is what you are experiencing.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Drier, is definitely better. I never found EMP harsh, though. Maybe it's just your own idiosyncratic reaction to the blend. I have a similar inability to enjoy Orlik Golden Sliced, but smoke other VAs all the time.
You won't get "smokey" from EMP -- there's just a touch of Latakia in there. But you will get a sort of medicinal tang from the orientals, while the VAs should be sort of barely malty sweet with a little bit of (for lack of a better word) woodiness. Overall, there should be a sort of "floral" aspect to the flavors -- I definitely get why you'd put it like that.
When I first started smoking, though, I found EMP and 965 to be a little fussy and bitey -- but that was just from my bad cigar-smoker's technique. But still, I like them best when almost completely dried out.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I suspected drying it out would help. My best experiences have been with tobaccos that were on the drier side. I will definitely try EMP this way. Thank you.
I don't think I have an aversion to red Virginias. In fact, I really enjoy them. I smoke McConnell's Red VA quite frequently. But I know what you mean; I've heard of people who have nasty reactions to red VAs. I'm just glad I'm not one of them. The harshness I'm getting from EMP is what one might get from a cigarette (if that person isn't a cigarette smoker). I am getting the tang, but I'll have to search more closely for that sweet maltyness and woodsie flavor you mentioned.
Thanks guys.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I can understand your connection to the pipers you respect and their recommendations. However, I would be selfish for a minute and consider your own taste above everyone else. You might thoroughly enjoy the cheapest and most under appreciate tobacco with an unheard of name, so be it.
This is the result of marketing expertise. I hope you keep searching (and find) the tobacco that you enjoy the most.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you are trying to get a good idea of what an Oriental can be, try Presbyterian Mixture. As far as EMP, I never could discern any flavor at all. To my palette it's too light and airy to mess with, I never got the bitterness you describe, but then, even bitter would be some sort of flavor!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I can understand your connection to the pipers you respect and their recommendations. However, I would be selfish for a minute and consider your own taste above everyone else.
If EMP doesn't work for you, this is the best advice. I occasionally get the cigarettish taste/smell from EMP -- I definitely understand where you're coming from there.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Im a relatively new pipe smoker, and generally speaking, prefer most of my tobaccos to have some moisture to them. However, I have found emp to be a whole lot better when it is left out to dry.
I have only smoked 3 tins of it, and though this limited experience have found that I don't care for emp when it's first opened, but by the time I'm get to the end of the tin it is great!
What I now do is take a bowls worth and rub it out. Let it dry for an hour then re-rub and pack. Works for me. Try experimenting with it, that's half the fun.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
EMP is just plain harsh, I love it but man it's got a kick to it, when I first started smoking it was way too strong for me, and I'm a former cigarette smoker. If you're looking to enjoy oriental flavours try something like Newminister English Oriental, it's way more oriental forward than EMP, smooth and sweet, plus heavier on the latakia, plus half the price. I don't think drying it out will help much, it's a nostril burning kind of smoke, you either like it or you don't.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Just goes to show you how tastes and reactions vary. I really like EMP and always have some around. Liked it from the first time I tried it -- this is not one where I had to get used to it. I would never in a million years describe it as harsh. To each his own.

Aug 1, 2012
EMP is a bit much for me too. It does do well after aging for a bit but the blend itself is a bit on the green/bitey side for me if it hasn't been aged. Try tossing a tin to the back of the cellar for abut a year and then try it again.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I think I will stick it out. I'll play around with it, dry it, age it. Hopefully the blend will grow on me in time.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't mean harsh in a bad way, I just mean I find it on the strong side from the bright, I have no problem with any tobacco besides cheap otc's. It's my go to smoke, I have a pound and a half of it

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
If EMP does not work for you try either Dunhill's London Mixture or my favorite Samual Gawith's Squadron Leader. Both of these blends are oriental forward with limited amounts of latakia.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
EMP is pretty harsh, to me, especially fresh out of the tin. Jarring and aging this helps somewhat, but, I just smoked some EMP the other day that had been in a jar for about a year and a half and it mellowed a bit, but not enough that I would call this a smooth smoke. Who knows, maybe after five years of jarring it might change drastically, but...
I have tried sipping this and it helps cut down on the harshness for me, and the flavors of EMP, when you can really taste them are quite subtle, but, there are a lot of blends out there that are not as fussy for me, especially as a morning smoke. Some of these are:
GLP Chelsea Morning (not a copy of EMP--a completely different smoke, and a very good one)

GLP Westminster

GLP Charing Cross

Balkan Sasieni

and someone I think mentioned Newminster's English Oriental (a very good, smooth blend as well).

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Perhaps if you want to get the Oriental experience, try some from McClelland's grand Oriental line, throwing a bowl of EMP in between. While I like them more now than when first puffed, EMP and FOx's Campanile hit me as very Camel-ish. I find the Grand Oriental line has a suitable VA base with a very distinct Oriental flavor profile, and does not get to the harsh/acrid/cigarette realm. They tend to make it an easier smoking experience, and don't get in the way of the Oriental flavor. Of them I think the clearest Oriental flavor are:
Smyrna No. 1

Drama Reserve

Classic Samsun
Also, try smoking some straight Oriental. P&C ,in their blending tobaccos, have Izmir and Smyrna. I have smoked the Smyrna straight, its very flavorful much better to me than EMP, perhaps due to the cut.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I like Dunhill 965.

I like Dunhill Nightcap, though it's a bit heavy on perique for me.

I just can't do EMP. Not a big fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.