PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Old Dark Fired has a tough, older brother named Bold Kentucky. He might be an ex-con. Nobody really knows, but everyone's a bit cautious around him. :LOL:

GHC's Dark Flake is one of my favorites and is very strong. Bold Kentucky. SG Brown No. 4 and GHC Brown Irish X/Bogie are all in that same class. Those are all flakes or ropes. BNot a ton of super strong ribbons that I've had, but Kendal Dark and Kendal Kentucky by GHC qualify. I believe Kendal Dark is the ribbon form of Dark Flake.

A step below those, I'd include GL Pease Triple Play, C&D Old Joe Krantz, Old Dark Fired, Royal Yacht

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You had the right idea with the Gawith ropes--those are maxed out with nicotine. For something easier to find online, try D&R Picayune

Reactions: cshubhra

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I remember Gawaith Hoggarth Black Pigtail as being a strong smoke both in flavor and nicotine. I think they also had/have a Brown Pigtail, it was a strong smoke.
You also mentioned ribbon cut. Something completely different from the twists is Esoterica Tilbury, a ribbon cut Virginia/BurIy. I used to smoke this all day. It has a medium nicotine hit and a classic Virginia taste that intensified as you smoked it down.
Perhaps you have tried SG St. James flake, If not, you might give that a look if you like VP flakes.
Ray

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tried Old Dark Fired today. Some has suggested that this is strong. However, I found this to be medium.

The strongest I have smoked so far is SG Black XX.
I would consider ODF And BT XX mild and easily all day smokes. When mixed together 50/50, pure heaven.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Irish Flake and SG 1792 would fit the bill.
I've never gotten a nic hit from either. A big Ben Wade Golden Walnut is my 1792 pipe.

004-001-6602.jpg

Reactions: cshubhra and charf

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
By the way, on Tobacco Reviews you can search on blends by strength.
  1. Click the Search tab
  2. Click Show More Search Fields
  3. Click the Average Strength text box.
  4. Select the strength level you're looking for (Extremely strong, Very Strong... etc)
  5. Click the Search button

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Strongest ever I have smoked is Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal Sliced brown Twist Aromatic.
It’s mind blowingly strong.
1792 nor Nightcap do anything on the Nicotine level.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over several years I took the grand tour of some strong tobaccos. After that, you may find yourself exploring medium and even milder blends again for a wider range of taste and experience. I still enjoy some stronger blends, but more as an accent than as daily blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.