Stripping a Finish on a Rusticated Author?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I recently purchased the least expensive author I could find just to see if I'd like the shape (I do). It's a Rossi Vittoria and it's a really cool little pipe. The glossy black rustication is a bit much for me be so I rubbed it down with some #0000 steel wool and it worked pretty well. Unsurprisingly it wore off some of the stain on the high spots so now it has a bit of a "distressed" look. I'm actually liking it looking a bit worn so I was wondering how I could strip off the rest of the glossy finish to make it entirely matte/flat. Obviously continuing with the steel wool will just rub down the high spots and I'm not really looking to smooth out the rustication, just dull down the finish.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, you are absolutely correct. For some reason in my brain I thought that was the intent but that very well might not be the goal. So acetone will remove the shine but not the stain? Thank you for that information, I did not know that. There is so much that I have no clue about! Always learning.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sure does, here's an old dromedary I did the same to.
Before

img_20141202_105211.jpg

After

img_20160829_021601.jpg

Little color loss, but the acetone made short work of the lacquer. The shine in the after pic is just from buffing with a T-shirt.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
That's great info and a great example, thank you. I think I'll start with the acetone to knock down the shine and then see how it looks...if I want to remove any of the stain at that point I can try something like the alcohol. I'm sure the briar isn't great so maybe stripping it completely bare isn't the best idea...a little at a time and I can always re-stain it. There's just a warmth to a matte/flat pipe that I really like. It has nothing to do with the "smoking hot" debate, for me it's pure aesthetics; both visual and tactile.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
(Acetone is very good to dissolve the varnish but beware of the hose because it attacks some plastic, and perhaps depolit Bakelite…)

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Sorry I didn't take any "before" photos but anyone can easily enough to a search for what a new Rossi Vittoria finish looks like. Very black and glossy...perfectly nice and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I wanted to mess around with it, so here I am.
I'm sure some will think I've ruined it, but I'm actually happy with it. I don't know that I'm done fooling around, but I'm leaving it as is for now. This is after some #0000 steel wool to knock it down a bit and then the recommended acetone with an old toothbrush:
MNo34CN

mVCzcVk

Status
Not open for further replies.