PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
This pipe is a pretty good smoker, and cost as much as a Grabow, but I hated the dark stain. I had a lull in my work, so I decided to see what was underneath that dark finish. Got out the denatured alcohol and removed it.

Before:
7A2104F9-5938-44CE-A30C-53BE5F4ED6A8.jpeg

After:
665AD92A-6BBE-4964-B827-95E4A1E12067.jpeg
22655A5E-6880-4638-85FC-FA85E74BB14B.jpeg
8137B97E-8DED-47EF-A633-BB17DD17BBC8.jpeg
I figured there’d be some fills, since dark stain is usually used to hide them, but most of the fills are pinhead sized and in the middle of birdseyes, so you don’t really see them. Gave it a polish and some wax.
I think it looks better.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This pipe is a pretty good smoker, and cost as much as a Grabow, but I hated the dark stain. I had a lull in my work, so I decided to see what was underneath that dark finish. Got out the denatured alcohol and removed it.

Before:
View attachment 33841

After:
View attachment 33843
View attachment 33844
View attachment 33845
I figured there’d be some fills, since dark stain is usually used to hide them, but most of the fills are pinhead sized and in the middle of birdseyes, so you don’t really see them. Gave it a polish and some wax.
I think it looks better.
That looks leagues better. Bravo. ?

Apr 26, 2020

Before:
View attachment 33841

After:
View attachment 33843
View attachment 33844
View attachment 33845
I think it looks better.
Very nice! Did you add any dye?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
You didn't start with a sow's ear, but you sure came up with a silk purse. Great work.
No, not a sow’s ear I guess, though I wasn’t sure at first what I’d find. I could tell there might be some interesting grain peeking through that dark stain, but had no idea there would be that much activity in it. Luck probably. I fully expected I’d end up staining it back dark brown again.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Sure, but the odds are pretty good with qc standards like that.
A point well made, and you’re probably right, but I can’t swear by it. It’s a sample of one. ?‍♂️
My guess is that those sub $40 ones were destined for a higher quality/price range lineup, but had too many fills to sell at that price, so they got dark stain and a lower price. If I see another one on sale again I may get it and give it the same treatment. If for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.