Stripped Redmanol/Bakelite Stem "Repair"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've done various searches and have come up with less than ideal solutions and thought I'd turn to the collective brain trust here. I have a late 19th Century/early 20th Century meerschaum pipe that is in need of repair to make it smokable. The original bone tenon is intact and solidly in place in the meerschaum portion; it still has its threads. However, the Redmanol (possibly Bakelite) stem's threads are well stripped.

The archivist/collector in me would prefer to preserve all the original parts and find a non-destructive, reversible solution to get a usable fit—I'd rather not go up a size with a replacement antique bone tenon and retap the stem and meerschaum. I'd be content with a solution that effectively creates a solid press fit.

Would a beeswax fill be enough to hold things in place? I certainly don't want the fragile meerschaum to take a tumble. Is a fill with Gorilla Glue that expands a viable non-toxic solution? Epoxy would probably be too permanent (or at least too difficult to remove) and I think a layer of it might be too thin to re-thread with a tap. I've read that this period pipe wasn't necessarily meant to be taken apart the way we maintain our pipes today, so maybe epoxy wouldn't be the worst solution—I have my doubts. A replacement stem with matching threads to the bone tenon was a thought, but, smoking the 100% original pipe would be better.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even though it wouldn't be in direct contact with the smoke stream, I personally would not be thrilled about having warmed-up PTFE near my porous tissues.
There are some that feel the same about delrin and it's used quite extensively for inserts and tenons.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I may have to tweak how many times I wrap the bone tenon, but it seems to provide enough grip to hold the stem in place (which I'm now thinking is amber based on the chipping and colour). It'll probably be smokable if I can dial in the right number of wraps to hold firmly. Thank you so much for the non-destructive solution.

Reactions: jpmcwjr