PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

During the cleaning of two of my hardwood bottomed mm cobs i have noticed a stretchy, someone sticky substance that wont come out but is coming up a bit from the bottom of the bowl. I am wondering if its the glue maybe? I cant tell what it is because its totally covered in black carbon from burnt tobacco. I am worried that i am picking at something that damages the pipe, or maybe that the pipe isnt safe to smoke anymore?

any experience on this here?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
During the cleaning of two of my hardwood bottomed mm cobs i have noticed a stretchy, someone sticky substance that wont come out but is coming up a bit from the bottom of the bowl. I am wondering if its the glue maybe? I cant tell what it is because its totally covered in black carbon from burnt tobacco. I am worried that i am picking at something that damages the pipe, or maybe that the pipe isnt safe to smoke anymore?

any experience on this here?

thanks in advance

It’s glue. According to MM, they use only food grade materials that are 100% safe.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Cobs that don't have a hardwood plug have a thick gooey resiny gluelike substance to form a bottom.
Think it's the pith of the corncob. Very soft stuff. They cover it with a paper patch to strengthen it, just on the cheaper cobs. I'd throw it away, or fix with a dowel glued in and sawn off. Pretty easy to do, but I prefer buying them with the hardwood plug already in place.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Never had this issue with cobs in the past and then I noticed it in my black Moonshine cob. It is definitely the glue. Might be they changed the glue. Regardless, it seems to be resistant to heat.