PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If a pipe is light weight and durable, with a bowl of the size you want (including large), I think light weight is a good feature. I have several non-briar wood pipes including several Mountain Laurel and one Cocobolo, both light weight. I'd be open to a strawberry wood or maple, if I liked the pipe. Brad's two Becker strawberry wood pipes sound really fine.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Found pic of one it was large and the shape I like the most.

Oct 7, 2016
I certainly wouldn't kick the Becker's to the curb. The billiard is particularly outstanding. I actually don't think the Castello I linked to has that much going for it. I know that might sound like heresy to some of you who know me, but I have seen a lot of big Castellos and that one wouldn't make the top 50 if I was judging it as a briar pipe. Interesting that the pipe, a GGG, is priced just a few Euros higher than a GG Old Antiquari. I am used to seeing about a 15-20% spread between the Euro price of a GGG vs a GG.
Are they in fact durable? Break them in any differently?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Are they in fact durable? Break them in any differently?
Yes. Nope.
Kinda surprised they had a single pipe. Bollito seems to have had a lot of unconventional stuff come in from Castillo over the last year or so. I’ll bet they’ll get more soon as that sucker did ship off right quick like,

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is very curious!
I typically don't care for the way that Strawberry blasts (except for that Castello and Beckers). That is a very interesting finish combination, way out of left field for Castello. A sign of more to come?
_MG_0203copiacopia_A5dtn2sTVUN1_large.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
Al, the finish combination is reminiscent of the "fumed" top of the Antiquaris Wally Frank/Hollco used to bring in (which were really Sea Rocks) and just from the pictures looks like the "Aristocrata" finish they are doing with smooth pipes, for which they are apparently extracing a nice price. But not from me. Interestingly enough, a couple of the Italian shops have fumed top Sea Rocks for sale as we speak, one labels theirs "retro"
I hope Castello does make more strawberry wood pipes. But not with that stain combo.

Oct 7, 2016
@bigpond, thanks for the report re: strawberry wood.
Bollito does come up with some interesting Castellos, and that one almost literally did fly off the page.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Bollito does come up with some interesting Castellos, and that one almost literally did fly off the page.
Davide Bollito gets to Cantu pretty often to hand select pipes. They probably don't everything they select but they get the pick of the litter. What gets listed to their site is what's left after their A list customers get to pick.
Castello has sold the strawberry pipes for a few years most I've seen come in a blasted Natural Vergin finish. Rick Hopkins had some bigger G/GG size pieces on his table in Vegas. They seem to me to be a little darker tan than the usual light blonde NV's. From what I've seen in the past I'm thinking it the big blocks that are the attraction to Cantu. 8O

Oct 7, 2016
@daveinlax, among the many things I will remember to be grateful for this season, the fact that I am not on Davide Bollito's A list will be in the top five.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
OMG! That is a fantastic pipe. @daveinlax, thanks for the information. I've dealt with Davide Bollito before, but I would be like D-list status. I will have to keep my eye out for the big strawberry wood pipes in Chicago this year.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I personally love castello because I believe their Briar is great. I can't see any reason to go after a strawberry wood from them. If I wanted that wood, I think I'd seek out an artisan carver.

Status
Not open for further replies.