PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Hi Chaps,

I could use some input regarding a Peterson Pipe that I have and will soon be offering for sale. It is a little bit of a strange one however. I purchased this whilst on holiday in 2006 at Nat Sherman's Store in New York City. The Sales Person said that it was a Pipe of The Year. Sadly, he was unable to locate the Box and was only able to offer me the usual Peterson Cloth Bag.

Time has passed and I have decided that there are two Pipes which I rarely smoke that might find favour with someone else. I have recently cleaned both and whilst fettling the Pete, I noticed that it is inscribed "Special Edition".

Now the really strange thing is,if you google Peterson Pipe of The Year 2008, there is my Pipe! http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipeofyear.html The only difference appears to be that instead of the Celtic Design on the Silver Cap, Mine has Rings. The Celtic Design is on the Collar. Obviously the Cap bears all the Hallmarks. So, I rather wonder what my Pipe is? Mine is the Ebony Rusticated One.
Can anyone identify this one, or is it simply a "Special Edition" that was a precursor to the 2008 POTY? I will add photos once the Camera returns from an outing with my wife.
Thanks In Advance

Rob

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Is your Special Edition a military mounted bulldog with a cumberland stem? If so, it is as you thought, the precursor to the Pipe of the Year from 1986.
PETERSONLIMITEDEDITIONNO341.jpg

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Hi Chuck, thanks for the response. My Pipe is exactly the same as the Rusticated POTY 2008 on the google link I posted, the only differenve being that the Silver Cap doesn't have the Celtic Design.
Thanks

Rob

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I needed some info on a Peterson's last week and got a very informative email back from a lady called Angela Fortune at Peterson's. I'd be tempted to pose the question to her. Contact sales@peterson.ie

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Thank You Kind Sire! I shall contact them immediately.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Just an update, how prompt Peterson have become!! Responded to my email and enclose photos, but still the "Special Edition remains a mystery! Pics coming as soon as camera comes home.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Angela is a wealth of information as is Tony Whelan, the shop forman. There is a gentleman whose name is Paddy Larragan that Tony has promised to get me his contact information. Mr. Larragan worked for Peterson all his life and his father worked with/for Charles Peterson himself.

Thank God for Skype.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I think I understand now. Your pipe had a flaw that QC wouldn't pass as POY quality. A small blemish, a grain defect, some little thing that detracted from the smooth finish of the POY, so it was sandblasted and stamped Special Edition. That makes it a rather rare pipe and in no way detracts from it's smokability (Is that really a word?).

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Chuck, as far as I know, the pipe in your pic is the first POY (Limited Edition, not Pipe of the Year adevertising so, as you said, it's really the predecessor) from 1997. This was a 1000 pipes series with the A1 shape, cumberland stem (some had black vulcanite ones) and gold plated silver ring.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
The "strange" one is now en route to the USA along with the Mauro Arminelli Cavalier.

The Alpha Calabash is also en route to Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.