PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustard23

Lurker
Mar 23, 2020
So I need some help. I was doing a quick trip to Bahrain to replace a satellite modem when Kuwait closed it borders. It has been over a week and I am almost out of tobacco. In Kuwait a can get an ok selection at The Sultan Center (grocery store) if I am in a pench I have tried the TSC here, a few cigar shops, other grocery stores, the NeX on NSA and ISA. Nothing. Any one been here that know of spot to get some in a pinch? Kuwait has pushed its national holiday for another two weeks so I got at least 3 more weeks here.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Welcome to the boards. Sorry I don't know the area to help brother. There is a lot of knowledge here, so hopefully those who can help see your post.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Only been on Ali Al Salem air base and Camp Arifjan. If you are a military contractor, can you get on any of the bases?

Mustard23

Lurker
Mar 23, 2020
According to Google la casa del Habana in Bahrain sells pipes and pipe tobacco.

View attachment 23572

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you!
They sell pipes but no tobbaco. Did get a churchwander from them for 10bd ($25) but no tobbaco checked a couple other cigar shops. The tobbaco shops are all shisha and synthetic weed. As far military bases, 2 in Bahrain NSA and ISA neither of them have any. You would think the Navy would smoke pipes. Back in Kuwait I can get at the grocery store not to mention I have several jars of bulk and a few tins. The good new is a couple of my dried out tins should be will hydrated after a month in a ziplock bag with cigar beads.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
And I get cigar shops that don't have any or shisha shops.

Anyway my ST Patricks Day 2020 I picked up is still in Kuwait so I smoked my corn cob with a green forever stem on it. View attachment 23600
Dude, it’s a pain but in the low humidity and bright sunshine of beautiful Kuwait if you can get your hands on some chewing tobacco...... like red man or Levi Garett? Have done it MANY times, cut them shits into cubes and let it dry out, load up and smoke em if you got em!

Mustard23

Lurker
Mar 23, 2020
Dude, it’s a pain but in the low humidity and bright sunshine of beautiful Kuwait if you can get your hands on some chewing tobacco...... like red man or Levi Garett? Have done it MANY times, cut them shits into cubes and let it dry out, load up and smoke em if you got em!

I might try that, I also know you can cut cigars and use them but it ghosts the pipe. That is my fear with chewing tobacco. I think I will go hit that cigar shop that had pipes and get one of the basket pipes they had and try it. That way if it ghosts I am just out $25.

Reactions: kurtbob

Mustard23

Lurker
Mar 23, 2020
So update on smoking red man. It just smells ike burnt sugar and turns hard like burnt sugar and doesn't stay lit. So I think it has to much sugar in it. Also found out loose tobacco sale is band in Bahrain. That is why I can't buy pipe tobacco or so the cigar shop owner told me.

• Sad
Reactions: rushx9

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So update on smoking red man. It just smells ike burnt sugar and turns hard like burnt sugar and doesn't stay lit. So I think it has to much sugar in it. Also found out loose tobacco sale is band in Bahrain. That is why I can't buy pipe tobacco or so the cigar shop owner told me.

Did you dry it out before lighting?
I’d use some scissors and cut it into thin ribbons or cubes and let it sit out until super dry.

Reactions: kurtbob and rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad I don't have to fathom the local law that mandates the shop that sells pipes can't sell tobacco. And I guess the shop staff can't give any clues about where tobacco is available. Maybe the American consulate could give a bit of advice? Or maybe they are swamped by stranded inquiries from stateside citizens. Travel is not a happy prospect right now. If you want to smoke it, you'd better bring it, and best to stay home. Somewhere in the great country of Kuwait there is a smiling fellow who sells the country's pipe tobacco out of a carpet bag. Likely you have to know the password.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you get a mild cigar to slice up I don't think you'd have to worry about a ghost that 1 bowl of regular pipe tobacco wouldn't exorcise. I've smoked nubs in pipes as well as chopped cigar leaf and never really noticed a ghost. At least not one as strong as latakia or aromatics. What do you usually smoke?

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah, you have to dry it out after cutting it up with scissors. In Iraq, would have to dry it out in the sun for at least a few days. You are correct in that it for sure ain’t pipe tobacco but, it has gotten me through several pipe tobacco dry spells. Just hope you find some real pipe tobacco brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.