PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Does anyone else here, dislike straight Virginia's?

I've been fortunate enough to try many aged straight Virginia's and I just don't like em.

I get the impression this is something you may 'grow' into, but I'm not seeing it, pretty subjective but interested to hear if any veterans dislike them too.

Reactions: UncleRasta

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Took me several years to really appreciate them, it wasn’t that I disliked the taste, they just didn’t have much flavor, I chalk that up to lack of technique and a novice palette. Some people seem to like them right away, while others need to learn how to taste them but it’s also okay not to like them. Something like Orlik GS with a bit of top flavoring added helped me to find some of citrus flavors. I’d say just don’t swear anything off, you just never know.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My first encounter with VA was MB Virginia #1. Me being a pipedummy I smoked it like the english and burley based blend I tried. Got bitten like sticking your face in a wasps nest.

The "ephiphany" came with capstan blue and OGS (the whole yes/no perique discussion, for me there is no perique). Lemony, haylike connotation, soft on the retro. In my rotation of about 15 jars there are 4 or 5 straight VA of which I like the MacBarren Virginia Flake and HH Pure Virginia the most. I cant decide which to cellar, but to me they are to similair to decide. Or I might turn back to OGS or Capstan Blue.

To get into your question, I grew into them, about a year in pipesmoking I got to appreciate them with the right technique in regards of packing and puffing. You might also, or you might not, no big deal. Enough other tobaccos on the market.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Straight VAs are A-okay in my book. Not sure what you smoked. Capstan Blue, Sutliff 507-C, both Samuel Gawith and Peterson Flakes, The Squire's Green Dragon, C&D Opening Night, Low Country Natural Virginia, Stokkebye's Danish Export, Mac Baren's Amphora, Virginia #1, and HH Virginian are some of the better ones, IMO. Never disappointed by any of these.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
I tend to smoke anything
(a) For how long have you been smoking a pipe?

(b) What flavors do you taste when you smoke straight VA?

(c) What sorts of tobacco do you like?

A: A few years now, on and off for ages before that.

B: It was just 'boring' and bitey, that is the easiest way to describe it subjectively I suppose.

C: Dark Fired / Lat blends typically.
What is it that you dislike? Just curious.
Bitey, boring, not much going on.

Did you try any fresh ones? Some folks do prefer Virginias with all the "grass/hay" and edge they can have.
I'll give it a go!

Straight VAs are A-okay in my book. Not sure what you smoked. Capstan Blue, Sutliff 507-C, both Samuel Gawith and Peterson Flakes, The Squire's Green Dragon, C&D Opening Night, Low Country Natural Virginia, Stokkebye's Danish Export, Mac Baren's Amphora, Virginia #1, and HH Virginian are some of the better ones, IMO. Never disappointed by any of these.
I smoked Wessex Dark Campaign flake from 2012

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
While I think you’re getting good technical advice, I think the amazing thing about pipe tobacco is how wide the flavor experiences on offer vary. I get a lot of enjoyment out of a very light and mellow tea-like Virginia and I get a lot of enjoyment out of something punchy with lots of Latakia or dark-fired. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being interested solely in the more robust.