Straight Dublin With Bent Stem. I Took These Pics With One Extra Spot Lamp To See If I Could Improve. I Don't Own A Good Camera Just My Iphone

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
After reading a number of articles about taking pictures of your pipes, I realized that I need a Camera, A lightbox, at least 4 spots with 6500k daylight bulbs at minimum to get started down the picture taking road. However, for now, I tried my Iphone with one extra reading lamp to see if I could hopefully improve the quality. I did not use the flash. In the second picture you can see a horizontal line going across the bowl. I have no idea what this is. I tried and tried removing it with both my files and various grits of sandpaper to no avail. It doesn't go through and is not a leaker but it is nevertheless still there.
This a straight Dublin with a bent stem. The one currently on the bench is a full bent Dublin. Anyway, comments always appreciated.
dRedA2s.jpg

JAeczxg.jpg

fMWVbtT.jpg

kW5Mzs0.jpg

9FH4uRv.jpg

tvEthQD.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have a line like that going across a freehand I carved from a hobby block. It doesn’t hurt anything, so I never worried about it. Just quirky grain. Pipe looks great!
If you don’t mind me being nosy, can you tell more about your setup. I desperately need to build or buy something for photographing my knives. My photos suck. ☹️ I’ve found that both pipes and knives are very hard to photograph in a way that shows details, and glossy surfaces, without being overwhelmed with glare.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The photos are outstanding. It's not as though you are shooting shots ofr elarging on paper. You're h=just shooting for computer monitors. I suspect, other than Jesse, I, and possibly a couple others, no one is using no one is using extreme quality monitors. I lot of members use pads and laptops. Guys, don't be afraid of using phones, the current quality exceeds pro-level cameras from a few generations back. As the OP shows, lighting is the critical concern.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did, but then I seldom have to proof for print, and most Mac monitors are quite decent out of the box. I also still have the (forgot the thinamabob's name) to calibrate monitors, but haven't bothered in a while.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
countrybladesmith, I read a number of articles on the pipemakersforum and made the following changes. I would like to buy a lightbox. Probably this one on Amazon. It's dirt cheap.
These 6500K daylight light bulbs found at any Home Depot. and a minimum of 4 stands for the lights.
But all I used to try and help out my lousy photography was this diode desk lamp and a bath towel that gives a better background (IMHO) than a white bed sheet. That's all I used. I haven't got the funds for a new camera or any expensive gear. I have to use what I have.
Warren, thanks for the nod of approval. I consider that high praise coming from someone with your talents and abilities.
XxuXnth.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Those are very nice looking pictures. Ten times better than I can take. I am completely useless when it comes to taking a decent picture. Nice to see someone really trying to improve his skills.

Reactions: bnichols23
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
countrybladesmith, I read a number of articles on the pipemakersforum and made the following changes. I would like to buy a lightbox. Probably this one on Amazon. It's dirt cheap.
These 6500K daylight light bulbs found at any Home Depot. and a minimum of 4 stands for the lights.
But all I used to try and help out my lousy photography was this diode desk lamp and a bath towel that gives a better background (IMHO) than a white bed sheet. That's all I used. I haven't got the funds for a new camera or any expensive gear. I have to use what I have.
Warren, thanks for the nod of approval. I consider that high praise coming from someone with your talents and abilities.
XxuXnth.jpg
Thanks! ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nappy material is nice as it soaks up light. Rather than a bunch of lights use one with a reflector, experiment with the position to reduce the dark shadow. One doesn't need a bunch of equipment to take good "product shots. You can also use thin, nearly transparent, cloth to soften your single light source. Too much equipment simply complicates what should be a fairly simple exercise. Unless you are the type who likes lots of "stuff" keeping your shooting simple, visualizing what you want, is the way to do. I've done plenty of jewelry shots using one light (diffused, and a reflector. If your really want to reduce shadow problems get a square of black velvet for the pipe to rest on and provide back ground. Velvet really sucks up light. You can actually use any color for this but, beware of "casting" reflected color and adding an unwanted hue to the overall look.

You've certainly got the basics down pat. Have fun!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yup! And you can make a reasonable diffuser by cutting a gallon milk jug. Two cut in half makes an ok light box.

And not using a white background is very sound. Although a non-reflective b/g for meerschaums might work well, and grey a touch better.

Reactions: bnichols23
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I am definitely not a photographer but my wife sells puppies and she bought a light ring that connects to her IPhone and it takes great pics. She had several people comment on the quality of the pics

Reactions: jpmcwjr

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Warren, jp, great information. I’m going to cut and paste your comments into a word doc, print it, and tack it to the wall in my shop.
Great information from all the others as well.
Thank you all.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.