PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Fred Janusek. He is a Doctor of Pipes, and professor of mathematics. Fred is in his early 80s, and he has been smoking a pipe since college in 1957. His first pipe was a very shellac-covered Yello Bole. This show will be the first installment of “Storytime with Fred Janusek”. These are some great stories back when pipes were everywhere, including men’s clothing stores. At the top of the show, we will have an Ask the Tobacco Blender segment with Jeremy Reeves. Jeremy is the Head Blender at Cornell & Diehl, which is one of the most popular boutique pipe tobacco companies in the USA.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Fred-Janusek.jpg

Last edited:

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I found Jeremy's discussion of how to pack a pipe very interesting. Instead of the three step method, he starts by adding very small pieces to the bottom of the bowl, then adding bigger pieces, and then topping it off with smaller pieces again to help with ignition. So, layering the pipe with kindling-fuel-kindling if that makes sense.

It's definitely worth listening to his advice here and trying it out!

virginiapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginia
Build a fire in the bowl. I’ve done this from time to time, but never really thought about it in those terms. Makes sense!

Fred Janusek certainly has some interesting stories, and I’m grateful that he’s sharing them with us through the show. Looking forward to the continuation!

Reactions: hairvise

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Always great to hear from Jeremy @ C&D! I found his packing method interesting, although I’m a “dip in the pouch” man mostly. Whatever works well for you, right?

I’m really digging these story time series, and Mr Janusek sounds like he had a lot of great experiences in the pipe world. I’m looking forward to hearing more from him.

Reactions: hairvise