PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So when we got the house, the wife and I had talked about wanting to get a dog. After I got some cash together, I started looking at dog rescues in the area, and honestly, they really didn't have much. Then I started to talking to a guy that I work with who suggested I check out the rescue that he got his dog from. I called the gentleman in question (who is a superb guy by the way. I can't say enough good things about him and his wife), and asked him what they had available. They are a foster agency, so instead of the dogs living in shelters, they live in temporary foster homes until a final home can be found, which I thought was a great idea. I told him that I didn't want a huge St. Bernard type dog, but I didn't want a Chihuahua either. He told me the story of a dog they had just taken in and when I heard the story, I almost cried. It broke my heart.
The poor guy started life down in Tennessee, and very early on he got hit by a car. As if that wasn't bad enough, the people in Tennessee beat him severely which caused nerve damage on his right side. The sickest part of this whole thing was that the fur around his mouth and snout grew in very thin because of damage that was done because his mouth and snout had been duct taped shut for longs periods of time. I wanted to puke. So I told the gentleman that I wanted to set up a meeting with this dog, and they arranged to bring him to the house and see if he would be a good fit.
Guys and gals, I gotta tell you, in spite of the hell this boy has been through, he is the absolute sweetest and most loving animal on the face of the Earth. Aside from the thin hair on his mouth and snout, you wouldn't ever tell he'd been abused. He loves kids, dogs, people, even cats, and has never once shown signs of aggression. No one can really pinpoint what he is. The vet seems to think pit bull and border collie, and others say he looks like he has some greyhound in him. And given the room to run, this boy is FAST. When we go to the dog park, no one else can keep up with him, he sprints like the wind.
I'm so glad that we got the chance to give love to this animal because it was so worth it to have such a great companion in our lives. If you take nothing away from this story, know that karma is real, and in this case it blessed us beyond measure. Say hello to everyone JoJo, and welcome home buddy.

Jul 15, 2011
Sorry if the pics are a little small but you can click to enlarge. I also figured you guys would rather look at my wife and the dog than my ugly ass mug. :mrgreen:

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Bless you, brother. The good will come back to you.
I rescued a dog last year and it's brought nothing but happiness.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks oldtoby. The pic of my wife manhandling him like a child proves that he's the biggest baby I've ever met. He's also super smart and was extremely easy to train. Very rarely do I have to be firm with him. Really the only thing he still struggles with is a little nibbling when he gets really excited but it's pretty easy to quell to be honest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an honor to greet such a wise and forgiving spirit into your household. To be so completely abused and live through it with affection and playfulness intact is a super power. Hail to your fur friend. And what fun he will be. One of our rescue cats limped up the driveway as a kitten on Long Island and met my wife and two small girls, and my wife took her (the kitten) home, fleas and all. The kitten became a "teenage mom" just as they planned to have her spayed. My wife placed all three kittens in one home -- don't ask how she did that. Our other two, Maine Coon type rescues, came out of a drain pipe in Fuquay-Varina as kittens, for fear they'd drown in the first rain. We met them at a pet store adoptathon; they held my finger and went to sleep. Done deal. How you treat creatures is how you treat your universe, after children and other people, and ultimately how you treat yourself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Too Good! We lucked into a rescue lab- a lab that doesn't retrieve nor love the water! But one of the best and loving dogs ever.
0329180021.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats man and good on you for the rescue.
We have seven dogs now and all are rescues. It is disgusting what people do to their pets. But, the chaos is worth it when the pups finally come out of their shell and begin to be happy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm's enlarged picture -- what a sweetheart! Not you, jpm', though I like you too. What a happy dog. Perfect friend, full of life and energy.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
God Bless you for that! The wife and myself always seem to get animals that have been abandoned or abused. The vet always says "we don't find them, they find us". Your good people... :clap:

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Wonderful rescue.

Where did he get the Brindle? My vote is for Staffordshire Terrier.
My son & daughter-in-law have a rescued black-n-white Staffordshire Terrier-Lab mix (mostly the former) from Texas, where many adoptees are sent to Colorado (we have a very high adoption rate here). She is the cutest, sweetest & smartest dog that I have known, except for my Yellow Lab-Terrier mix rescued long ago while I was in post-grad training, but I am biased.
Don't Shop, Adopt!

"Rescued" is my favorite breed.

Dog is my copilot.

I like big Mutts and I can not lie.

Chains Belong In the Bedroom. Not The Backyard

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Had to log on for this. Thank you for taking in a rescue. They are absolutely the best. I've had several and have one now that has epilepsy. She is still the sweetest girl. She is my pumpkin pie, or sugar toes depending on the moment.

Always take in a rescue...the love they give and the karma you get is always worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.