PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
I want to buy lbs of diffrent tobacco to smoke out of I don't really want to age them I just want a large variety of diffrent blends so I thought about buying mason jars with the rubber seals and latch, so my question is how long would it keep fresh I don't want to seal because I will be opening up diffrent jars all the time so would I need to buy humidity discs and what size jar would I need?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I tried using humidity disc in a few jars I had. They seem to just make the tobacco too moist. I do the same thing you are thinking about with different jars and I haven't had a problem with my tobacco getting too dry. Some of my blends I've had for years. Although, you should go for the smaller pint jars as when the quart jars get low on tobacco they tend to dry a little. I have a little Macbaren Golden Extra that has dried because I put it in a guart jar.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The standard, small, ½-pint Mason jar with a screw-type top and replaceable lids is my choice. Once a tin has been opened

I put the remaining tobacco in the jar. It seems to keep the tobacco wholesome throughout the year or two it may take me

to completely exhaust the supply. I don't put much trust in latch/bail-type jars, but some guys swear by them also.

mp31guitar is spot-on about avoiding larger jars.

MasonJar.jpg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The guys summed it up.

Let's face it, if you buy a pound each of, say, 6 blends, that's gonna last you a while, even if you smoke nothing else. Put it all in small jars, label 'em, and keep out one jar at a time of each blend. If you can find wide mouth small jars, use those - just easier to get into, especially when it comes down to the bottom of the jar.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
I will probably use the small jars sounds more realistic if I'm not going to do long term storage thanks everyone for helping me out.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta

I use these for my frequently smoked tobaccos and they sit on the fireplace, but for larger/smaller orders I keep them in mason jars in the cold storage room, its nice and dark in there and there is plenty of room for lots of jars.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Jud's advise on wide mouth jars is a very good one. You can thank him later.

msutton

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Memphis, TN
Everyone's advice about the jars is correct. I would add that it might be more prudent to buy smaller quantities. Four ounces of a blend will usually fill a pint sized jar quite nicely. Some of the first jars I filled and labeled thinking they would be my go-to blends have now slipped out of the rotation as I have tried new blends and liked them better. And I'm sure as time goes by, my tastes will change again.

Status
Not open for further replies.