PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andre3s

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Chambly, QC
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi friends,
I'm new to pipes. Last Saturday I've visted a local tobacco store (very nice and beautiful btw) and I bought a 50g pouch of a cavendish tobacco. I moved the content of the pouch to a airtight little jar and stored it in a dark place.
I wonder, in the case of buying other varieties of tobacco, if I could keep them in the original pouch and store them in a container together with those Boveda packs the keep the humidity level stable.
Does my idea make sense? I'm asking because I don't want keep many jars as I don't have much space for them.

Thank you so much for any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Hi friends,
I'm new to pipes. Last Saturday I've visted a local tobacco store (very nice and beautiful btw) and I bought a 50g pouch of a cavendish tobacco. I moved the content of the pouch to a airtight little jar and stored it in a dark place.
I wonder, in the case of buying other varieties of tobacco, if I could keep them in the original pouch and store them in a container together with those Boveda packs the keep the humidity level stable.
Does my idea make sense? I'm asking because I don't want keep many jars as I don't have much space for them.

I'm on board with that; I don't cellar in jars myself, just keep them in their tins until I smoke them which is never more than a year anyway. I smoke cigars too, expensive ones (Davidoff) and don't use a traditional humidor. I keep them in their box with Boveda packs, don't know why you can do the same with pipe tobacco.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hi friends,

I have thrown Ziplock bags of small amounts of tobacco that weren’t enough to bother jarring into a Tupperware container with a small Boveda 62 pack. Works fine, at least for a while.

Reactions: andre3s

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
One of the best storage methods is to use canning jars. Buy the size that one pouch will fill. You want the jar to be as full as possible. The lids will provide a very tight seal. You don't need to add a small Boveda 62 pack in a jar. If you use a regular storage container that you would find in the kitchen, your tobacco will dry out before you know it, even if you add a moisture pack. Just my opinion.

PM me if you want to discuss buying tobacco.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Hi friends,

Get some Cellophane bags - REAL Cellophane(not plastic cello) or Mylar Bags- get bag clips - fill the bags and clip them tightly sealed -place the bags in a clean box- don't worry about the humidity - Pipe tobacco is not cigars - pipe tobacco will dry out - don't obsess over it but keep it moist enough so that it doesn't break into unsmokable dust. With me less humid better - I don't like very wet tobacco and having to worry about mold - if it gets too dry - I rehydrate - I also don't age(cellar) tobacco much - Jars are for cellaring mainly. Just don't keep your tobacco in anything plastic(containers, bags) for long storage. it will leach and leave the tobacco tasting like crap.

Reactions: mau1

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I purchased some pouches to store and then sealed them in Ziplocks, over the pouches... But after googling and actually reading from a member here, the gentleman with the hat and black church warden pipe, decided against it, specially for longer term...

I just use old jam, olive jars, type jars, soak them in Hot water, clean em up good, remove the labels, and use as my storage jars. No idea how that material in the pouches will react longer term with the tobaccos. Also compress the tobacco to the bottom of the jars.

i’m sure the pouches would work, but is it worth the risk For your precious smoke...?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee