PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
There was a recent thread about storing tins in mylar bags that now has me worried. I'm trying to store extra tobacco away for the uncertain times of the future (availability, taxes, etc). My problem is I live in the woods. Currently I'm mouse-free, but I know mice can get into about anything. I have tins and cans stored in a dresser. In the case mice decide to nest in this dresser, I have put everything in plastic bags and tied them shut, so as to protect them from mouse urine and droppings in case mice get in and I don't know about it. These are bags like you see in the produce section of the grocery store. There's no vacuum seal or anything, just a layer of protection against mice. But the other thread has me worried that this may cause rust. I live in a rather humid area. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I of course would like something mouse-proof but I have limited space.

IMG_E1892.JPG

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would be more worried about the humidity you live in than mice chewing through any metal tins.I would be buying a dehumidifier and keep your stored tins in that room.

Reactions: JOHN72

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
1.) Buy a cat.
2.) go on Craig's List and see if you can get an old metal storage cabinet for cheap.
I have two cats. One's a really good mouser I think. I haven't seen a mouse in about a year. But just wanted to give the tins a little extra protection. I'll probably try to get a better cabinet but for now this is what I have.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Make a barricade around your tins with captain black pouches. Even if the mice get up to mischief you won’t notice a difference in the smoke.

But in seriousness I think those bags are fine in the short term. They are not vapour proof or heat sealed so I doubt they would be comparable to the issue raised in the thread about Mylar.

A sealed metal cupboard or cupboard, or chilly bin (ice box?) might be the best bet long term. Humidity may be your biggest concern

germinal

Lurker
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
But in seriousness I think those bags are fine in the short term. They are not vapour proof or heat sealed so I doubt they would be comparable to the issue raised in the thread about Mylar.
I agree with this. I'm pretty sure it's fine for as long as the seals on the tins hold. Also any issues will be clearly visible to catch early on when dipping into or adding to the cellar.

Now the nicotine-fiending mice in the throes of withdrawal on the other hand ... :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.