PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have read that you should not store your tobacco pipes with the stem down? I sometimes feel that it is easier to place the pipe in the holder with the bowl up and the stem down. Is there really a problem with this and if so, what?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
No problem. Internet misinformation.

DAA4-AD19-8354-4289-950-E-461834430-C11.jpg

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Most of my pipes are stored stem down with the exception of my nicer pipes which are in a turntable rack and on folding pipe stands. I've noticed no difference in how the pipes smoke. I clean all my pipes after each smoke, so that may have something to do with it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess I always keep mine stem up. Supposedly otherwise the tar and juices will migrate more into the shank rather than the heel. Not that this probably matters as long as your pipe is clean. I think it matters more for when you set down an uncleaned pipe. However I sometimes set a pipe down for days before cleaning it.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The piping community is awash in bullshit myths like this. But I don't store my pipes in racks or in any vertical orientation.

Mine are stored flat in fitted cases, 12 to 21 to the case, or in their original cases, like any collector of high quality vintage pipes would do.
The ones you smoke regularly, too?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The ones you smoke regularly, too?
Yes, or just cleaned and set on my worktable in a sock while in rotation. The really cherry vintage pieces stay cased between use.
Minimizing exposure to light and air retards oxidation and aging of the pipes.
These are from 1907 and they look brand spanking new because the case protects them:
hzZwztQ.jpg

1882, same deal:
pfZLmQL.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Down side up, flat, cased, on a table in a jumble. Makes no difference, except you don't want bright light on your vulcanite stems.
That would assume that none of your pipes have any bling, like sterling fitments. Sterling don't tarnish in a fitted case. But otherwise, yeah, just keep them out of direct sunlight.
Or don't, and watch the vulcanite stems slowly turn to crap and the wood stain bleach out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I doubt it matters. I clean up my pipes to the extent of scooping out the ash, wiping out the bowl, running the pipe cleaner through it, and buffing it off, bowl, shank and stem. I guess I wouldn't want the moisture in the bowl draining down into the stem, justifying the stem up position, but since there's no moisture left in the bowl, it doesn't matter. Do what you like. It doesn't matter.

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
Stem up because the rack is made that way.

This reminds me of the countless pages and posts on firewood and wood stove forums concerning the proper way to stack ones firewood; bark up or bark down!!!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Thank You all for the replies and suggestions. I was looking at getting those eyeglass case boxes and storing them in those for full protection and keeping my everyday pipes in a regular pipe rack. I just find it seems easier for the pipes to hang stem down if the rack has the holes and not the semi-circle. Just interesting to hear different opinions. Kinda like BBQ, which I always believe is: If it tastes good, you're doing it right.....

Reactions: mikey517
Status
Not open for further replies.