PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Does anyone else store their pipes disassembled? I do because I feel like maybe it helps to dry em out more and/or faster. Any veterans care to offer pros, cons and opinions?

Reactions: yanoJL

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Does anyone else store their pipes disassembled? I do because I feel like maybe it helps to dry em out more and/or faster. Any veterans care to offer pros, cons and opinions?
I wouldn’t recommend this. Maybe I over-worry, but I’d be concerned that the wood would shrink without having a tenon inserted all the time, leading to issues with the stems fitting properly when you need to put the pipe back together.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I love the Missouri Meerschaum cheap plastic “one size fits almost all” stems. I clench the shit out of em then buy more when they give out. Mixing up stems isn’t an issue for me because all my stems fit almost all my cobs. I remember which stems go to which of my 5 briars because I only have 5 briars. I’m sure if I had a proper pipe collection, this would be impossible.

Anyway, thanks for the input and for satisfying my curiosity about how others do things.
Puff on!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I would not store them in separate pieces. The most use can dry and shrink, and you run the risk of cracking the shank when you reassemble them. Leaving them apart for several days isn't an issue. When shipping them its a good idea to disassemble them.

Reactions: rmbittner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I wouldn’t recommend this. Maybe I over-worry, but I’d be concerned that the wood would shrink without having a tenon inserted all the time, leading to issues with the stems fitting properly when you need to put the pipe back together.

Yup, this ^^^^

Here's the catch... individual pieces of briar vary enormously regarding dimensional stability. Sometimes storing a separated pipe is fine, other times you'll have a five star PITA waiting for you when it's time to put it back together.

(That DOESN'T mean storing pipes assembled will guarantee a good fit forever, but it will move things in that direction significantly.)

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Yup, this ^^^^

Here's the catch... individual pieces of briar vary enormously regarding dimensional stability. Sometimes storing a separated pipe is fine, other times you'll have a five star PITA waiting for you when it's time to put it back together.

(That DOESN'T mean storing pipes assembled will guarantee a good fit forever, but it will move things in that direction significantly.)
Everything I do is 5-star.
😆

Reactions: haebar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Removing a stem isn't major surgery, nonetheless doing it every time you smoke a pipe seems like unnecessary wear and tear. I clean my pipes after every smoke, but I only remove the stem after quite and few smokes, and with about ninety pipes in rotation, that isn't often.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I enjoy having the pipes visible on racks fully assembled. I want them cleaned up and ready to smoke.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I do actually sometimes take the stems off to air out when I’m cleaning the mortise out, but only for a few days.

Also if the pipe built up some extra moisture smoking, or it smelled a bit after the smoke, I also remove the stems for some extra airing out.

Extreme lengths of time, in various ambient conditions might not be a good idea, later trying to get the stem back in. So if a tight fit afterwards, rub some bees wax on the tenons. ;)