Storing My Tobacco In an Un-Heated and Un-Air Conditioned Room.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningbare

Lurker
Mar 18, 2020
deep south
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hoping for the best.Has anyone had any good or bad results from doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If it were my tobacco I would never do it. Tobacco can be fragile. Ever see a bug infestation destroy a box of Cuban cigars, it is like a horror movie.
Allowing your pipe tobacco to reach 85-90 degrees will be a bad thing. Seals will pop, mold could grow. It could get ugly.

On the other end of the spectrum seeing temps of 25-30 will freeze your tobacco and when it thaws the excess moisture could lead to mold.

I am a freak about temp and humidity. Mine never varies from 73-74 degrees with a constant humidity. My HVAC unit has a whole house dehumiidifier as I live in Florida, In the sumer when it is hottest outside My house stays 73-74 and the highest bills of the year are only around 225. 00

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I store all my stuff in my truck when my wife and I tow our RV on vacation for sometimes a couple of weeks at a time with no effect, probably wouldnt do it long term though, especially in the heat. My containers will actually fog up on the inside when its hot and that probably isnt good long term

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I store all my stuff in my truck when my wife and I tow our RV on vacation for sometimes a couple of weeks at a time with no effect, probably wouldnt do it long term though, especially in the heat. My containers will actually fog up on the inside when its hot and that probably isnt good long term
I wouldn’t think a non-HVAC equipped room would get as hot as a vehicle unless it’s got lots of single pane windows. Vehicles get some serious greenhouse effect. I keep some tobacco in my workshop (non-HVAC), and it holds up fine over the course of a year or so, which is about how long it takes me to smoke all the small jars I keep out there. Our summers are hot and humid, and I haven’t noticed any issues yet. The stuff destined for long-term cellaring gets put in a closet in the house.

Reactions: gervais and BROBS

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I wouldn’t think a non-HVAC equipped room would get as hot as a vehicle unless it’s got lots of single pane windows. Vehicles get some serious greenhouse effect. I keep some tobacco in my workshop (non-HVAC), and it holds up fine over the course of a year or so, which is about how long it takes me to smoke all the small jars I keep out there. Our summers are hot and humid, and I haven’t noticed any issues yet. The stuff destined for long-term cellaring gets put in a closet in the house.
Makes sense

Reactions: gervais and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I wouldn't do it..
cellaring is best done at a fairly constant temp and humidity.

mine is stored in my literal cellar that varies from around 60-70 degrees and 40-55% humidity, based on season. My aged tobacco turns out wonderfully.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Looking back at my earlier post, I see I probably didn’t make my point very clear: A year or less, you’re probably ok, depending on exactly what kind of temps and temp swings you have. Long term, I’d probably find something with more stable temps and humidity.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I was hoping the temp.changes might age it like burbon..
Bourbon works that way because the temps force the alcohol into the wood of the oak barrels. It dissolves some of the caramelized sugars and brings them back into the bourbon when the temps change again. Your tobacco isn’t going to get any flavor out of a glass jar. It will ferment some, and you may see sugars crystallize out as bloom, but I wouldn’t think temp swings would aid that process.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think you want to bake tobacco in storage, like keeping it in a vehicle during the heat of summer, and you don't want to get it below freezing either because you'll get moisture when it thaws, and maybe mold. In no case do you want to have it in high humidity. So best to store it in the most temperature and humidity controlled area in your living space, even if this is under a bed or behind furniture. If you have limited space, I'd just keep a small stash. You could leave a small box in similarly controlled areas with a friend or family. I've kept tobacco in my vehicle in summer -- just not very much. I don't think it improved.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have anywhere from 1-2 thousand tins in storage units under my bed,I have jars and tins on the top of all the shelving in my walk in closet packed to the sealing. I have 20 more boxes opened once to make sure it was the right blend. I never unpacked them, just wrote the date on them. I am done buying except for the occasional aged tin from pipestud.
I have a fairly nice sized investment in my tobacco so I am totally anal about temp and humidity and light.
If I ever had a fire, everyone for themselves as I am dragging my tobacco out first.

• Haha
Reactions: gervais
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can't imagine storing my tobacco that way. Variations in temperature can cause the tins to expand and contract which could compromise the seal. High humidity could cause the tins to corrode. I'd pay for a temperature controlled storage unit before I'd store it in the garage.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Haul mine to the basement in the summer (20 degrees roughly) then haul it upstairs in the winter (about 20-22 degrees) I don't give a shit about the humidity, they are all in sealed mason jars and tins

Status
Not open for further replies.