PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
Since I'm just restarting this habit I don't want to buy bulk tobaccos. I end up with 4 or 5 pouches of different blends on hand that I'm trying until I settle on a couple that I think are worth buying in bulk.
As for storage, I'm trying not to be impulsive and start overbuying containers that will eventually fall into disuse,

Can you store different blend pouches in the same sealed container? Will there be appreciable flavor, aroma bleed through the different blends?
Should aro and non aromatics be stored separately?
Not talking long term, a pouch is lasting about 3 weeks if it's something I like. I expect this to get shorter as I narrow down my preferences.
Any ideas?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since I'm just restarting this habit I don't want to buy bulk tobaccos. I end up with 4 or 5 pouches of different blends on hand that I'm trying until I settle on a couple that I think are worth buying in bulk.
As for storage, I'm trying not to be impulsive and start overbuying containers that will eventually fall into disuse,

Can you store different blend pouches in the same sealed container? Will there be appreciable flavor, aroma bleed through the different blends?
Should aro and non aromatics be stored separately?
Not talking long term, a pouch is lasting about 3 weeks if it's something I like. I expect this to get shorter as I narrow down my preferences.
Any ideas?
It depends on how well sealed the pouches are. While it's not likely there woud be strong cross contamiation in a couple of weeks, if the aro is really strongly topped, or one of the pouches is a Latakia blend, I'd want to add a layer or two for peace of mind. Try wrapping each pouch in a couple of additioal sealed baggies.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
You may also be able to grab some smaller Bell jars for cheap, just for your trial pouches/tins. I have a dozen 2oz jars I got at Target for ~$10 that I use just for that purpose. Open a new tin, top off a jar, smoke the rest, and label and store the ones I want to hang on to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this is a very temporary stash, I don't t think blends will impart any flavors to other blends. I'd do your sampling, then store them longer term in jars. I'd go back in a year or so and re-try the blends you don't like on first sampling. Sometimes a little time will improve the blend, but more important, starting out, your tastes will evolve quickly, and what tastes blah or bad right now may improve remarkably later.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If you store strong Latakia blends in the same drawer / container you might notice some residual odor especially in something like a straight VA blend. Or not. As Sable said, depends on how good the seals are.

If you store a strong Lakeland blend on the same continent as your other tobacco, or so much as Google their tobacco blends your other tobacco products including your pipes, computer and any printed books or magazines will be ghosted forever.

You’ve been warned. ?