PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sack

Lurker
Nov 28, 2016
Do you folks jar your aromatic tobaccos or just ziploc them? I ask because I'm assuming most only jar tobaccos for aging. I've got several pounds and thought I would jar them. Or do you only jar non aromatics?

drpipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2012
Iran
I aged macbaren original(white pouch) (one pound) to two years and it became very delicious. I am are smoker and try number brands but never forget this age tobacco.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I jar the ones I have opened in a Kilner canning jar. I also have a few in individual ziplock bags then stored in larger click-lock plastic tupperware type containers.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I jar aromatics. I don't jar my tobacco blends with the intent of aging them -- though I do have some things that have been jarred for a while so I guess they are aging. I jar my tobacco because it is the best way to preserve it. The conventional wisdom seems to be that Virginia blends benefit the most from aging and that aro's don't age as well. That doesn't mean that you should not jar your aro's, only that you should not set aro's aside for a decade and expect great things in the same way as you might with Virginias.
Nevertheless, jarring your aro's will preserve them far better than keeping them in a ziptop bag or other container. If you have pounds of aro I would suggest that you jar them to keep them in good shape.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A tin usaly does not last that long when open so I just keep in in the original container stored in a dark drawer until next smoke

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Most aromatics I buy come as bulk tobaccos that go into half pint wide mouth Kerr jars which keeps them moist & fresh. While aromatics generally don't "age", last year I opened a jar of Trout Stream that I put away in 2008 and it was still good as new...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup. I bought a pound of Blue Note in 2010 and stored them in jars and it's still just as good today as it was in 2010!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jar aromatics to keep them fresh but don't try to age them beyond a few years. I've done this by mistake and my results weren't bad, but in general, I understand aromatics don't improve much with age. The flavoring tends to fade, and as near as I can tell, the base tobaccos don't improve -- as Virginias might if unflavored for example. Sometimes bagged or tinned tobacco left around smokes pretty well, but not dependably. Sailors on the old square riggers used to keep their tobacco in cloth bags and used it over months or years on long voyages. Probably the berthing compartments in those old ships had some humidity to keep the tobacco moist. I suspect the tobacco was of some concern, since those guys didn't have many pleasures in life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I put a pound of Stokkebye's "Peaches and Cream" in jars back in 2010, tastes as good as it did the day I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.