PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've enjoyed going quietly crazy from sending off four pipes I wasn't smoking often enough toward perhaps one pipe I think I'd smoke more, but therein lies a world of decision and opportunity. Of course, I'll get whatever my intense shopping and subconscious mandate. There's no helping that. But the decision seems to be tending in several directions. I can get an especially good example of a carver I have long appreciated. I can get an example of a shape I do not yet own from a namey carver who has recently started a lower-cost series. Or I can get a good price on a dependable line plus a tin or two of blend. Right now, those are in the order of priority, first to last. What would you be likely to do with these choices, if this isn't too abstract a question? I had to cull the herd a little. As I joked before, I'm down to my last 91 pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The other aspect is, I have in mind what I'll get for the pipes I've culled, but before I ask them to hold anything for me, I'd like to know what they offer, since that will have some bearing on what I decide. If it was some less than I expect, that would sway me, as certainly a little more would too. In any case, it is a nice distraction from all the day-to-day to keep the show on the road. I need to spin it so I end up smoking the new pipe as much as most others.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If one has to decide between two options, I’d advise to flip a coin. Heads is one, tails the other. Then flip and catch it, holding it on the arm, and ask yourself which one you want to come up. That’s the one to go with. Slip the coin into your pocket, no need even to look at it.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I think #1 myself. Does anyone know if they have a formula for crediting pipes? Is it X % of what they will sell it for?

There used to be an amazing low end “antique” shop in our area that we would buy a ton of furniture from. Their prices were amazing and they always had interesting things. We furnished a good portion of our last house from there and still have a few items. When we we ready to move on they would basically buy things for 80% of what they would sell them for. This was a fantastic deal for us. Later they started to give us a bundle price, and while really convenient became less of a good deal. Eventually their prices went up and then they closed. Sigh.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Cellar wide and cellar deep. Pipe cleaners will never be as affordable or widely available as they are today. It's just a matter of time until you will no longer be able to order them over the internet tax-free and you never know when your favorite brand will go extinct.:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've culled a few times before, sometimes donating pipes to active duty people overseas, and other times trading them. So though I am at 91 pipes after sending four off, there are pipes too good to trade; some low enders that smoke well and would bring little; some pipes with history that are irreplaceable because they are gifts. As it was, I had to think seriously, re-smoke some pipes about which I was undecided, and part with others I liked but just wasn't smoking. That is why, if you can, and want "better" pipes, save up and get them at the outset. A Yello-Bole or a Kaywoodie can be too good to trade.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
philo', I went ahead and put my number one choice pipe on hold awaiting an appraisal, so I won't feel put-out by having it snapped up, and if I decide on a different pipe in the meantime, I'll still have time to do that. Good prompt. I thought I was keeping my options open, but I think this is a better plan. Thank you for the prompt!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes spells out their terms and conditions on estate pipes at their web site. Their pros do an appraisal, and you can take it or leave it. They pay more in store credits than in cash, but will do either. I think it is about 55% of what they believe they can get for the pipe, in store credit. But take a look at the entire text if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.