PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
smokingpipes spells out their terms and conditions on estate pipes at their web site. Their pros do an appraisal, and you can take it or leave it. They pay more in store credits than in cash, but will do either. I think it is about 55% of what they believe they can get for the pipe, in store credit. But take a look at the entire text if you are interested.
Thanks. Sometimes it just that much easier than selling/trading yourself. I hope you get what you’re hoping for. You’ve inspired me to thin the herd, too. I have a bunch I’m more than happy to part with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd recommend SP estate trade-ins for the non-eBay adept (or other online auctions and sales conduits). It is the least time and money spent for the seller, and they have a good sales base so can expect to get something back on most estate pipes ... no cobs or very low-end accepted. It is certainly better than having un-smoked pipes on the rack or, worse yet, in the drawer or attic. They (SP) emailed receipt of the pipes and usually get back in two to five working days. I have a figure in mind as a sort of minimum, but have some flexibility. I have the pipe I want on hold.

Tom Bombadil

Lurker
Jul 13, 2020
New York
I've enjoyed going quietly crazy from sending off four pipes I wasn't smoking often enough toward perhaps one pipe I think I'd smoke more, but therein lies a world of decision and opportunity. Of course, I'll get whatever my intense shopping and subconscious mandate. There's no helping that. But the decision seems to be tending in several directions. I can get an especially good example of a carver I have long appreciated. I can get an example of a shape I do not yet own from a namey carver who has recently started a lower-cost series. Or I can get a good price on a dependable line plus a tin or two of blend. Right now, those are in the order of priority, first to last. What would you be likely to do with these choices, if this isn't too abstract a question? I had to cull the herd a little. As I joked before, I'm down to my last 91 pipes.
Well, if there is a certain pipe you have your eye on and there’s a possibility of it being sold untimely, I would take that route the time to buy is when you see it especially a special shape or carver when will there be another?

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was vacillating about how much I wanted to put forward beyond what they will appraise, or it is possible the estate pipes will cover the new one. But I feel good about this arrangement. SP has what seems to be a booming estate business. Several other online retail sites offer estate pipes, but when you click on a particular brand, they'll have a whole inventory, all sold. SP seems to know who I am and the pipe I'd like to procure. They seem serious about that side of the business in a way that few others are.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I was vacillating about how much I wanted to put forward beyond what they will appraise, or it is possible the estate pipes will cover the new one. But I feel good about this arrangement. SP has what seems to be a booming estate business. Several other online retail sites offer estate pipes, but when you click on a particular brand, they'll have a whole inventory, all sold. SP seems to know who I am and the pipe I'd like to procure. They seem serious about that side of the business in a way that few others are.
How do you let them know which pipe to hold? Email?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I called their toll-free number, but only after I had tracked my pipes to make sure they had gotten there, as collateral as it were. When you order from SP, they usually enclose a little flyer that invites you to send estate pipes and gives an address, email and toll-free and other phone number. As I mentioned, their estate pipe business is alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.