PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
Ok so you order a tin of a blend youve never tried. Open it up, have a bowl, transfer the contents into a mason jar. You realize you love this blend and order say 3 more tins. When these tins arrive do you open them and put them into a big mason jar w your already opened tin? or just keep those 3 new tins un opened and on the shelf?
my ultimate question - to open and put in a mason jar, or keep in their individually sealed tins?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
One big jar makes storage easy and if that works best for you, it's probably fine; however you do run the small risk of mold ruining everything you have. Also if aging is a goal, then separate jars or tins is better, since oxygen deprival is the name of that game.

In the end, it mainly depends on how fussy you want to get and what kind of tobacco you're talking about. If it's a tub of Carter Hall or Captain Black, I wouldn't over-think it (although I've seen people jar that stuff too).

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Pop top tins I store as is. Screw top tins and Esoterica bags go unopened into sealed mylar bags. Bulk goes into mason jars or mylar bags.

Stuff in rotation are removed from their original container and kept in mason jars. Exceptions are PPG soaked blends that stay moist through the decades.

Reactions: Bowie and jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I leave them in the tin.
however some I am starting to think I should jar.
MacBaren VA #1 has transformed into a delicious beast after 2 years in a jar.

Reactions: Bowie

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
It's all about personal preference and how you want to age your tobacco. Personally I leave sealed tins alone until it is ready to open them. When you transfer tobacco from a sealed tin to a mason jar, you introduce oxygen back to the aging process. When this happens the tobacco will go through Aerobic fermentation until the oxygen has been depleted and goes back into anaerobic fermentation. If you leave the tobacco in the sealed tin then there is no re-introduction of oxygen and the tobacco stays in anaerobic fermentation.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am sure this has been answered, but upon my search could not find anything--but why are ziplock bags not satisfactory options for storing tobacco? I am new and still learning.

cheers
Drew

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I am sure this has been answered, but upon my search could not find anything--but why are ziplock bags not satisfactory options for storing tobacco? I am new and still learning.

cheers
Drew
As noted by @BROBS, they are not airtight. Fill a ziplock back with tobacco and leave it in a small closed room overnight. You'll notice how much aroma has leaked out the next morning. Multiply that by weeks of storage and you can imagine the change. But the room will smell nice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Leaving blends in tins has always worked for me. If I had failures where the blends went powdery or stale, I'd jar them.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
If you're truly concerned about the integrity of the tins, do what I do, which is to seal the tins in mylar bags. Best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.